This year for the 4th of July we stayed in Utah. I was excited to go back to the Colonial festival. It was just as amazing as I remembered it! They really go all out with the details of those festival, making everything as authentic as possible. I'm always struck by how humans made everything by hand- their whole lives were such a craft. It seems busy but also quite therapeutic compared to the stress we live by these days. We got to see many things being made- baskets, rugs, lace, butter, yarn, candles, printing, metal, wood carving, medicines, breads, and many more!
Later on, after naps, we were going to meet up with Buck's family to see the fireworks at Thanksgiving point. But as we were on our way there a huge storm blew in from out of nowhere! So we stopped and ate some dinner at Denny's to see if the storm would pass.
Finally the rain and strong winds calmed down. But the temperature had dropped 20 degrees and it was Johnny's bed time. So I grumpily decided to go home with Johnny and Buck went with the girls to the fireworks. Thankfully Buck took some photos.
I got Johnny to bed and then stood up on our deck and watched all the fireworks from afar. Literally hundreds exploding all around the distant shores of the lake. I could even see the ones at Thanksgiving point off in the distance. I could see the ones that looked like planets. I could see the colors and tell when it was the finale. I was all alone and I regretted my choice deeply. I was missing out on seeing the kids' faces glow and marvel at the glitters and booms. Oh well, it was a lesson learned.
Thankfully the next night some neighbors set off a bunch of fireworks. We went and it was fun. Except when an aerial firework tipped over mid explosion and shot LARGE fireworks into the crowd! Children screamed and adults tried to pick them up and run. It was a quick but crazy moment! Thankfully nobody was seriously hurt!
After that Hazel, understandably, wanted nothing to do with the fireworks and so she kept her distance.
A somewhat random, but good 4th of July. Truly one of the best holidays! And I'm never staying home from a firework show again! ;)
1 comment:
That Colonial festival looks so amazing! Did you make their shirts? I've been wanting to do some tie dye with my boys. And that's so cool you could see so many fireworks from your house so now you know that's an option if you want to keep the whole family home so you don't have to be alone!
Post a Comment