It seems to happen in January quite often. An over night getaway. There are two reasons for this I think: 1) January needs all the pick me ups it can get and 2) I usually get gifted an over night getaway from someone for either my birthday or Christmas and so I cash in on it once things settle down in January. I got this over-nighter from Ben and Lauren for my 30th birthday!
Going to Park City was randomly
wonderful. We didn't have any plans at all other than to go and find
the hotel that Ben booked for us. We really took our time dropping
the girls off with Buck's parents and by the time we got there and
got into our hotel, we were famished and it was almost 8:30. So we
drove around the town, up the famous Main Street and back again,
looking for anything that I thought looked good. Problem was I didn't
know what I was in the mood for but I did know that I didn't want to
spend a lot of money. And with that, somehow, we ended up at freaking
Subway sandwiches with some $5 subs. We really know how to do
romance.
But then I was convinced that I needed
chicken fried steak so we went to the grocery store and I bought a
cheap TV dinner. And some cereal. I know I know, you are all jealous
of our high end date.
We made our way back to the hotel and
ate our gourmet meal. Buck made me stay up late watching that show
again. The hot tub was outside and not worth the cold to get there.
So while there was nothing glamorous
about the whole night, no crazy adventure, no new life experience, it
was still one of the best nights. I specifically didn't plan anything
for a reason, I just wanted to be with Buck. I wanted to feel young
and old all at the same time. I felt flirty with my pink hair. The
lady at Subway even asked if we were paying separately, and we
laughed as we left, wondering what she must have thought of Buck
with his bubble gum haired mistress.
We poked fun at each other all night.
We talked about the past, the future. Our girls, of course. We
just... hung out. We were best friends. And it was perfect.
And apparently lately I only take sub par, blurry photos with my phone. I'll get back to my real camera soon but sometimes it's nice to leave it behind.
The interesting lobby, it was a Hilton.
The most unnecessarily large lamp award goes to:
Two room suite!
Thanks again Ben and Lauren! It's always one of my favorite gifts is time away with my Buck.
For fun, here's a look at the other January get-aways. Looks like an every other, even year tradition:
And now this one, 2016!
Other ones:
Anniversary over night get-aways:
So we used to average 2 over night get-aways until Hazel came along ;) It's fun to look back. When we got married I made a goal to at least have one a year, to make sure that we are always taking time for each other. I'm happy to see that we've been doing this!
3 comments:
HAHA! The Subway and TV dinner had me laughing...mostly because I love how real that is! We've been in that situation many times too! No need to be fancy when you can have just as much fun with your best friend!
You have us beat. We are doing overnight get-aways more often now, but you've still been on more than we have. When we first got married (ie--the first 18 years!), we were just way too poor! I never thought to ask for something like that as a gift, either. But January get-aways are becoming a tradition for us now too. I agree with you...January needs as many pick me ups as possible!:)
Aaron and I need to do this!! It's so nice to just be alone together, even if you don't do anything really epic.
Post a Comment