This last week was rough. Starting Monday June was getting sick. She started getting a fever and then lost her voice, or who knows, she just wouldn't talk though unless she was whispering. The weekend before Hazel had had a fever one night too and the following days the usual runny nose and little cough, but nothing too crazy.
But as Tuesday rolled around and as the day wore on, June's fever kept rising despite medicine, she continued to only whisper, and she was losing her appetite. And right around bedtime her fever spiked over 105 and her heart was pounding so fast so we went to the urgent care, all together as a family, at her request.
Once they checked her they said that we needed to go to the ER because of how high her fever and heart rate was. So away we went. They checked her in, did tests and xrays, helped get her fever down a bit, and gave her a breathing treatment since she was taking rapid, shallow breaths at that point.
Poor girl. We found out that she had croup, strep throat, AND pneumonia! No wonder it was so high, that's a lot for a little body! But she still had some luck and didn't end up having to stay the night or get an IV. We were lucky they were able to find the reasons why.
Side story: while we were there, The nurse asked
Hazel if she wanted some juice and she surprised us by agreeing and
leaving us behind to walk down the hall with the nurse. She then
came walking slowly back in, juice cup in her hands, and a little
make shift crown they had made together perched proudly on her head.
It was THE CUTEST thing. Hazel personally had a great time that night.
As you can guess, we were in for the rest of the week. There was a lot of relaxing and movie watching, but when you're a kid that doesn't always cut it. I had a list of things to do in the house to last us this winter, and I ended up using practically the whole thing. So now I'm out of ideas and it needs to be spring and summer time. (don't remind me how it's still only January...)
We
did finger painting, we baked muffins, we
colored, did stickers, made necklaces, got out the dress ups and
played with those, I put on Disney and dance music, we sang karaoke, played with bubbles, play doh was smooshed, snacks were consumed. I tried so hard to make it a fun week somehow. And now I am burned out, man. Because the whole time I had a sinus infection that just about did me in.
But really? I am grateful that we have our little home to be sick in, to
stay cozy and warm in. We had food and medicine to make us better. A
couple friends stopped by just to say hi for five minutes because they
know I drain when I am alone and isolated, another friend brought us
dinner one night. Buck's family came and got Hazel from the ER and took
her home to go to bed. My family called us through the week to talk to
me and see how we were. Being sick always highlights the blessings
somehow. So I cling to those. And amazing blessing that we get to return
to our normal health, which happens to be pretty great!
At the end of the week we were all feeling pretty good and January decided to dump some more snow on us so we got out of the house and played in the warm-ish air and it was good for our souls.
And I finally got my camera back out for a few activities. :)
Dresser upers
Muffin mixers
Bubble poppers
Singers
Snow shovel-ers
Painters













4 comments:
THat makes me so sad that June had to go to the ER but I love her request that her whole family be there. Way to make it fun while you were stuck at home. I absolutely love the finger painting pictures! Two little artists.
Survival of the fittests! ;)
Well, you can do most of those things over again...the girls will still love it!!
I love the photos of paint on Hazel's hand and tummy!!
Seeing little kids in a hospital bed like that is the saddest thing in the world! I am so glad she is back to her healthy happy self! Also, good work on coming up with inside activities she could do.
Post a Comment