It's that time of year again! Our annual Celebrate a Country day. This year we celebrated Greenland. The best part about these parties are the preparation and research for me that comes the week before. I am forced to learn more than I normally would and I really get to know about these places, well, as much as I can without going there and devoting my life to them.
And I'll admit that I didn't know much about Greenland before this, other than it was a very cold place to live. But for the party we attempted to make authentic food, we listened to some music from there, I gave a history and cultural lesson, we watched some youtube videos about their crazy Throat Singing and Drum Circles, and we all had a good time. My link this year was my friend Sonja who is a native Alaskan so she brought some legit salmon, blueberry dessert, and some real seal skin slippers and ivory beads.
I didn't take many photos. Once everyone arrived it was crazy with all the kids in our small house. haha. But here they are mixed with some photos from Greenland that I found on a google search. ;)
My fur headband and ivory beads that Sonja let me borrow. Hazel had her polar bear shirt on.
The seal skin slippers!
For the food we had their traditional soup which is suppose to be made with seal meat but we had to use lamb instead since, weird, Utah doesn't sell seal meat. Or musk ox or reindeer for that matter. Then we had cod with a mustard sauce, baked salmon, shrimp, a traditional Greenlandic bread with raisins, some blueberries, and a potato and onion salad. I had to do a lot of research to find these recipes so I was happy in the end with how it all turned out. WE ended with a traditional Greenland cake and that blueberry delight dessert. No complaints.
And now, here are some of the photos from the poster board













2 comments:
This is seriously such a fun tradition, I can't believe the only one we ever got to go to was Italy! I'm not sure If I ever want to take a trip to Utah in January, but maybe, your party might be worth it.
We celebrated Greenland by getting buried in 34 inches of snow...appropriate, right? Ha!
This is a really cool idea. When one of my boys was little (I think it was Jared), he said he wanted to visit Greenland. I remember wondering...can you even get to Greenland? I mean, I've never heard of any airline flights to Greenland! Maybe by boat? I've wondered ever since. Since you did a bunch of research about Greenland, maybe you can give me an answer! :)
Post a Comment