Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Date Night- one for the books

The impossible happened and we had another date- making that two weekends in a row. Not to brag here but... we're basically moving mountains. 

And this was a date I've been wanting to do for a while now- to go to a book store! We've been wanting to try a new activity to do in the evenings instead of just watching shows or starting new businesses and we thought it might be fun to read a book or two together. 

And isn't it a treat to go wander the aisles of a book store, picking up what you please, reading snip-its at your leisure? 
 It was funny how quickly and without trying that we ended up in the photography section that happened to be next to the architecture section (a favorite of Buck's.)
Then we made our way into the fiction/literature section where we read dozens of summaries. At first it seemed impossible to choose but then we narrowed it down to two books and decided to get both.* 
So we bought them and then celebrated over a cranberry scone.

And all the while the girls were home with a babysitter...
Sneaking into the red paint....

But whatever. It was worth it. It was simple and perfect. And to end the night we laid in bed, the pale lamp light illuminating the pages of our first ghost story. 




*When Buck and I were dating I bought an old book from a used book store and I cut the center out, glued the rest together, and then put special little treasures and photos in the hiding part and gave it to Buck for Christmas. It was the book "This Side of Paradise" by F. Scott Fitzgerald. And now, we will finally read what that book is all about. :)

7 comments:

Max and Rebecca said...

What a perfect date! I would love going to a book store without children! And reading together is the best...except usually one of us falls asleep. :)

Tanya Hanamaikai said...

Perfect history to the book you chose. And choosing a ghost story would be way fun to read together!

Tanya Hanamaikai said...

Perfect history to the book you chose. And choosing a ghost story would be way fun to read together!

alyse said...

"And isn't it a treat to go wander the aisles of a book store, picking up what you please, reading snip-its at your leisure?" ❤️

Lillybet said...

So nice to not have an agenda and to just wander together. Great way to keep the embers burning :-)

4boyzmdmom said...

We've gone to the bookstore on dates before. Fun!

Adrian said...

I read this awhile ago and of course am posting just now. So, how is the book reading going? I like that you tried to find something you could do together at the end of the day rather than just watching a show. Aaron and I do that a lot too.