Hi.
Last weekend I went to Boise. Alone. I was being flown out to be my friend's wedding photographer (!) and since June and Buck both cost a plane ticket, I had no choice. I was a little nervous, I had never been away from June for three nights before, and I always imagined that when that time came I would at least be with Buck. Thankfully I got to go stay at home with my parents though. I was photographing all day Friday-(and you'll have to wait and see those photos on my other blog soon!) and so Saturday I wanted to do something fun to keep my mind off of June and Buck.
After the first session of General Conference, I went out to lunch with some long time friends from high school.
Then I came home and my mom and I headed off to go to some Civil War festival that was going on in the small town of Emmett, Idaho. The whole event was free, every last thing. Amazing! And the stations and set up was impressive! We got to churn our own butter, rope "cattle," learn about yarn, try food that the fur trappers ate, hang out in a teepee, sit around the war camp and talk to "soldiers," see old Abe himself, and get scared out of our wits every time a canon or gun went off.
After we were all educated about which side won the war (I'm kidding) we stopped by a small fruit stand and got some mini but tasty apples. Then we wandered through an antique store.
After those small town shenanigans, we decided to take a drive and see what the mountains were up to.
At one point a valley of fields opens up from the tall pine tree mountains. It was sunset and suddenly I see this huge meadow of sheep with the sun glowing behind them. Of course I just had to stop and take a picture. I crossed the road and got close. There were no other cars around or people. No noises. Nothing. All I could hear were the sounds of hundreds of sheep pulling grass out of the earth, with the occasional distant jungle of a bell from some sheep's neck. Maybe that seems strange and hard to imagine but people, it was so calming and therapeutic. I stood still in the yellow light and took it all in. I should have been a Shepard I suppose. I wanted to stay there all day.
Once the sun was behind the mountain we keep driving and stopped to see some areas and take photos. I'm sure my mom is just going to love all these photos of her. ;)
There was no better way to end the day than to have some late dinner at a small town diner in the mountains. We found a real gem. And turns out we were there at the end of the dinner for a memorial service for an old lady in town who had passed away. So we got to learn about her a little bit. It's these reasons I love diners. Maybe the food isn't always the best, but the people are.
It was the perfect day. It was fun to go on an adventure with my mom for a day without the worries of nap time and snacks. And my dad would have come also but he had to go out to play practice and then to another session of General Conference that is for the men. Wish he could have come also.
I was excited to get home on Sunday- but wouldn't it be nice if everyone I loved just lived in the same place and we could all be neighbors? That's what my heaven is going to be like, I just know it.
And here are the flowers that my mom left up in my bedroom. She does this every time we come visit and she has flowers in her yard to pick. So lovely.
























4 comments:
Sheep are the best.
That festival looks way fun and I love that your mom always puts flowers in your room :)
I've been to Emmet, actually Sweet Home which is close. Never during a festival though.
I totally agree with your idea of heaven! Such a wonderful day you had and it all looks lovely. But the Civil War...in Idaho?? :)
Post a Comment