Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Hawaii- Day 1

The first time I left Hawaii I started crying as I walked down the aisle of the airplane. I had fallen in love with the place in only two months. Fallen hard, and fallen fast. So many wild times and new friends. So much sand and salt water. There's something to be said about memories made on a beach.

When I was able to go back to Hawaii for my honeymoon I felt the same burning passion for that land.

Now, going back as a new mom, at first I felt out of place. I felt like I didn't belong there anymore. I felt so different.

But after a couple days I started melting back in. And by the end of that short and sweet week- I was ready to stay and live the island life.

I don't know what it is about that place. I love the mountains and other geographical areas but there is just something about the ocean. And I've been to a wide variety of beaches- from all up and down the west coast- to New England and the east coast down to the Caribbean. I've been in the seas of South America and even been to a British shore. So although I can't claim Hawaii out of length of time spent there- I still know that her beaches are different. Special. And it's on those shores I wish I could live forever.



I was sad to leave.
And I know, I know- I'm blessed to have this sadness- if I didn't have it then that would mean that I never got to go there in the first place, you know what I'm saying? So I'm grateful to be sad.

Now. Because this is my blog and I'm hoping to print it out someday soon (*ahem* Buck) I have decided to suck on the memories of this trip like they are a hard piece of butterscotch candy. Make them last and savor them. So I'm going to tell the stories over a span of posts. Mostly photos- you know me.

So let's begin!
 -------------------------------------------
There's something about leaving planet earth that always makes me feel like I need to have everything in perfect order back home and that I need to be prepared for any situation that could occur in the air. Add a baby into that mix and flying on an airplane suddenly became an anxiety attack. Before we took off on the first flight my stomach was all in knots and I felt sick. I was so nervous for how June would handle things. (Even though I knew I was suppose to stay calm for her.)

But I am happy to report that overall June was amazing! The flight attendants were friendly and gave her her first pair of delta flying wings to pin on her onsie. Awesome. And, can I just say now that traveling with a baby is fun because everyone most people love babies and June was making friends wherever we went! She was a connecting piece between us and strangers. We talked to people we probably normally wouldn't have.




ANYWAY. We got to Maui late Wednesday night.
So the next day the fun started. We went to the beach- June's first beach! (prepare for photos)
She loved it! Loved sitting and standing and splashing in the waves. Loved sitting on a boggie board and sucking on the salty strap. Heck, she even loved eating sand. (not fun.)

Sand eater.







Telling an epic tale



 Baby and grandma feet :)



June's excited "wave face" haha



Dun dun dun dun

Dundundundund DUN-DUN-DUN!!!


 Playing in her "beach cabana" after her swim

Ate breakfast at a local joint. And it was amazing!
June liked to hid the food in her cheeks...



And I think that was the most for day one. We went to the grocery store to stock up the kitchen in the condo for the week and so that night we ate dinner there. As we did most of the nights.

Perfect first day.

5 comments:

audrey said...

I'm excited to hear your stories!! Savor it, girl. :) Question: How much did have her out in the sun during that week and what did you do to keep her from getting sunburned? That's what I'm most nervous about this summer with Jaden. He has such sensitive skin!

Anna Harrison said...

Well we tried to keep her in the shade as much as possible but then obviously she wanted to be out in the sun playing in the water and such so we kept a hat on her basically all the time! June doesn't have much hair so that's huge but it also is great for the face. And then we just kept putting sunscreen on. We used coppertone spray on and it seemed to do the best job. We used a different brand while hiking and her left arm got a little burnt actually :( so yeah.

Carrie Lynn said...

Maybe it's because I've seen most of these on facebook, but for some reason, I really love that picture of Buck as a shark. It kills me.

I know what you mean about being grateful to be sad. I swear I dated Alaska and that he was the "one that got away." I have written many a poem to/about Alaska, and every time Scott finds them, he thinks it is a passionate love letter to an ex boyfriend and it's a struggle everytime to correct him. Better to have loved and lost, eh?

4boyzmdmom said...

Love the pictures of June in the big hat! Oh, and Buck as a shark....

I hope I'll be sad like you someday! :)

RAQ said...

I am finally back to reading blogs! Fun first day post! I will live through your experience since I am thinking I may not get my chance until the Millenium!