Saturday, July 23, 2016

Virginia City NV & Going Home

Did you miss the posts leading up to this one? Do not fear, 
Click on these links to read about the days spent at Lake Tahoe


Day Six: Virginia City, Nevada

Our last morning at Lake Tahoe was spent packing up and leaving! The girls really helped clean up...
But we had one more day ahead of us of randomness. After we packed up and left, we drove a couple hours to an old wild west mining town called Virginia City. It has all this tourist trap stuff like saloons called “Buckets of blood” and panning for gold, a stage coach ride, mine tours, haunted mansions, museums, gun fight show, and shops. The history is really fun to learn about there. I do like cowboy towns and imaging what it would have been like to be there centuries ago. We were pretty tired, Oh AND Hazel got car sick on the way there, but we wandered, had lunch at the “Suicide Table” restaurant, let the girls pan for gems, got treats, and the highlight- had old fashioned photos taken. It's a weird thing in these towns but it's fun to do.
I have no idea what camel racing could have to do with Nevada but whatever
The girls both got impressive rocks and gems from their panning experience
Our old fashioned photo!
Visiting the old church
Tired
And after a long day we crashed at our comfy hotel in Reno. Ahhhhhh



GOING HOME
 
  It was the longest car ride ever. The girls were restless, we ALL were restless. And for good reason.

We did make one random road side trip to this historic site where a man build a weird house/monument out of trash as a tribute to the Native Americans and what they went through and all their hardships. He is no longer alive so you can just go walk around and see it and it's super bizarre. And so of course I loved it.
People actually LIVE at this place in these trailers. So odd...
The only other pit stop was to let the girls play at the McDonalds play place to get some energy out. Oh and of course like 50 stops on the side of the road for potty breaks, where undoubtedly our photo was lost. Seriously, it was a never ending day. Buck and I did this thing asking each other these getting to know you questions. Things we technically know already about each other but they were deep questions so it was fun to see the discussions it brought up and we enjoyed it. I also enjoy ipads and that my girls love to play games quietly on them. And I had fun with snapchat filters. I'm so 2016

And I wrote silly little snip its about the views. Because sometimes I like to take little "photos" with my words:

The drive took us up a small hill, the dry yellow grass and mint sagebrush poked the sky of blue, cluttered with clouds that mirrored the amount of the brush. 

There was a sudden string of billboards announcing food stops up ahead, their giant hamburgers now sun bleached into a nauseating color of rotten meat, no longer tempting any wanderer to stop. No oasis left on that dry earth, nothing left but dirt cyclones doing a samba across the open expanse. 

Doesn't that make you want to drive through Nevada now?! 

Probably not, but you may feel tempted to go on an adventure at Lake Tahoe, and we would totally recommend that one. 

Once again we are left completely thankful and peaceful (well, and tired) after a wonderful week with family and getting to watch our girls grow and learn new things through experiences. Thank you beautiful world!

4 comments:

Max and Rebecca said...

That house is bizarre! Also, We just drove for only an hour to go camping and it was not fun with our kids!

Lillybet said...

Going home after such a fun vacation is long no matter how many miles you have to drive and even more so when it's a long ways.

Erinlizabeth said...

Wait..... how did we miss banjo guy?!

4boyzmdmom said...

I loved the old church and the photos of Hazel running down the boardwalk! That barrels of candy place looks pretty cool.I also loved your old fashioned photo!