Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Lake Tahoe- Getting there and Day 1

Getting there:

 This summer we've been pretty spoiled with good trips and time with our families. This past week we got to go to Lake Tahoe with my family. We drove there and of course part of the adventure is getting there. 
We stopped at the salt flats on the way- I've never even been! So of course I wanted to take some photos there and the girls thought it was cool that it looked like snow but tasted like salt and had a cool clay underneath that they could dig their little fingers into.
Photo by June
Hazel kept needing to go potty so we would have to stop on the side of the road and get the little potty out. But hey it was better than her peeing her pants.
We also stopped in Elko Nevada, and I'm so confused why anyone lives in Nevada, but whatever I'm glad they do because the girls were able to get out and play on a playground there and then Hazel took a decent nap in the car after that.
We made it to our cabin all in one piece, even if the cabin kind of wasn't. But I wont get into that.


DAY ONE


The first full day there was Sunday so we all went to church. It was the largest sacrament meeting ever since there was a ton of visitors there at the lake so that was funny. And there was a chipmunk at the front of the podium that caused some commotion. Good times.

Then we kind of didn't know what to do because the hike we planned on was super busy and crowed as it was the 4th of July weekend. So we sat around and June, my mom, and me went outside and went on an “adventure” with June. She wanted to find treasure and bears so we hunted and make believed all sorts of things. Somehow she found two marbles and a buried horseshoe. A good adventure indeed. 

And Hazel napped and then woke up tearful and in need of a string cheese and cuddles.
Then we made a big dinner and June set the table, including this wonderful meal for cousin Ginny, that I'm sure Ginny wouldn't have minded....
Then we ended up finding a pretty and secluded hike that was two minutes up the mountain from our cabin. It was great because nobody else was there! The girls loved it and explored and found treasures. And then everyone slept well that night. Okay not Ginny and therefore not Erin and Dan but yeah...
I just wanted a photo of the two of them together in their storm tropper and ewok Star Wars shirts and this is what I got. haha 
My mom got the girls some "treasure bags."
I was obsessed with this melty sunset light
Hazel kept calling pine cones "pineapples" but then I found one that was both.
Most of them were bigger than Ginny's head!
Exploring the stump with a cave in it
June going from a messy kid to a grumpy teenager to.... attacked by her aunt!

It was a beautiful first day! 

I never know how to organize my posts after trips so for this vacation I've broken it into four post each showing two days. I know you all really wanted to know that but whatever, now you know! I just have too many photos to put it all in one post! :) So stick around if you love me.

5 comments:

rachel garber said...

"I'm so confused why anyone lives in Nevada" hahahahahahah. I've always felt that way too.

And a potty on the side of the road? that's how my mom rolled.

Sorry your cabin wasn't in one piece (?)

Lillybet said...

The salt flats or so weird but cool. I had to laugh at the picture of the little dinner that June put together for Ginny. I never actually got to see what she put together so that was pretty funny. She was such a big help with the dinner table that night. So many fun pictures. It really was a fun trip even if the house was far less than stellar.

Max and Rebecca said...

This looks like a beautiful place to vacation. I'm glad you were able to find a more private hike, I'm pretty sure the purpose of hiking is to be secluded in nature and not in a huge crowd...right? Those 3 little girls are the cutest and it will be so great to add another little girl! Also, Miles always mixes up pineapples and pine cones too! Also, sometimes he calls construction cones pine cones. Must be a 2 year old thing! Also, I'm curious to know more details about this cabin now...

Erinlizabeth said...

I think we should have a caption contest with that picture of Ginny. That was the best hike.

4boyzmdmom said...

That picture of Buck is the best. I don't understand why anyone live in Nevada, either!