Check back HERE for the post about the first day!
DAY TWO
Happy 4th of July!

The girls got dressed in their matching red white and
blue shirts that Erin made for them and the rest of us did our best. Somehow I forgot to pack something exciting for myself.
An okay, real quick here- important info about this week:
When I was in 8th grade,
so 14 years old, we had an exchange student from China who lived with
us for basically a whole year. Her name is Fe Nan but she wanted to choose a new American name and so we call her Kelsey. She was Erin's age and I became her
super odd and crazy little sister. She really became apart of the
family and I remember being incredibly sad and empty when she left to
return home to China. And I haven't seen her since that final good
bye! But she's married now with a son. And she's been in America for
a while. They lived in the Dc area for a while and then in the Bay
area where she currently lives with her son while her husband works
in China. So she wasn't far from Lake Tahoe and my mom invited her
and Truman, her son, to come spend the week with us and they did! So
I finally got to see her again!
So here is a photo of the girls with Truman!
And anyway, the men were apparently more prepared with their wardrobes.
Erin, Kelsey, and me. (and Dan's patriotic tie)
First we ended up walking the
small lake side town. There were some cool spots but no fun stores so
I don't know, we felt a little aimless and tired. However, we found the river that feeds into the lake and there was a whole meadow of purple wild flowers and I was dying from excitement.
We ate at a restaurant that took a long time so Hazel was not amused.
But June tried to help.
That night we went to the firework show! We were worried about the potential
crowds but compared to some firework shows I've been too, it was
really a laid back atmosphere even though it was crowded. We were
near a little park too so the girls played on that and then went and
watched the geese on the lake and then got hand dipped ice cream
bars. The glow sticks were a big hit as well and then finally the
show started. June was funny. She kept saying, “Oh my gosh! That
was the whole world one!” and Hazel was into it too and not scared.
It ended up being a really good classic night. It's fun to think that
June will remember this a little bit. And getting back to the cabin
through some traffic wasn't even as bad as we thought it would be. As
we walked back to the car I wrapped a cold little Hazel up in a huge
soft blanket and put her in the stroller and she looked like a
burrito and it was the best.
DAY THREE
The next day we did the other hike
since it was less crowded. It wasn't long, just about 3 miles total, BUT it was down a steep
mountain side and back up. At the bottom there is this old viking
castle some rich lady in the 1920's built and you can tour it. Then
there is a beach to the lake that is in the beloved Emerald Bay that
is only accessible through the hike or by boat. We didn't end up
doing the tour because it cost money but mostly because there was a
long wait and it was a guided tour that would have been awful with
the girls so we admired the outside and looking into windows. Then
the girls chased some geese (there were so many tame geese!) on the
shore and got their feet wet and covered in glittery sand. We
extended the hike to some water falls and then made the trek back
out.
The hike back out was tough. Steep
and sunny and being pregnant I was nervous but we made it. The real
highlight, however, was June. When we first started the hike, she
wanted to be held and said she was too tired to go on. So I had a pep
talk with her and told her that she would feel better if she found
the strength in herself to keep going, to just focus on each step at
a time. I never know if these lessons are over her head or not but
she surprised me and ended up with the best attitude of anyone there.
She ended up walking the whole time by herself and on the way out
through the steep incline I noticed that when she felt tired she
would say to herself, “Keep going June! Keep walking!” and THAT
was like, one of the best moments of my life. Being a parent is a
real trip. There are so many emotions to it but so far I think that
being proud of your child has got to be one of very best feelings in
the world.
We started driving back around
the lake and we all stopped in South Tahoe to get some pizza and then
headed back towards the cabin.
My parents were riding in our car and we
saw this amazing beach and it wasn't crowded so despite the long day
and no nap for Hazel, we decided to stop at it! Erin and Dan and
Kelsey decided to go back to the cabin.
I'm really glad that we stopped.
Everyone was leaving as we got there so we had a nice spot all to
ourselves with large boulders creating a little bath area to explore
as well. There were fish in the water and June loved trying to catch
them. The sapphire water sparkled as the sun set low in the sky. It
was calm and a wonderful ending to a full day.
Catching fish.
Getting warm in the sand
Singing and being Ariel.
My mom, a child at heart, out playing with her underwater telescope.
I made Buck go up here for a photo.
And we were completely
beat by the time we got back to the cabin! But the best kind of beat.















































































6 comments:
This looks like a fun trip! Seems like a good amount of time too. Ours was a little long...haha! I am jealous of that purple flower amazingness and how well you shoot in bright sunlight. You must have a nice camera ;) I am curious about this cabin situation you mentioned in the last post. Was the cabin a total dive or something? You will have to fill me in next time we visit.
It sounds like you found some of the most beautiful places...and holy cow...I just got so proud of June. I love that story. I can't believe how old June is getting, and I just love Hazel's reddish curls.
Miss you guys already!
Adrian, let's just say the cabin needed some definite TLC. Layout, space and location was good for family however. I know when we got to the hike at Emerald bay we were a little uptight because we realized we were under prepared but it turned out great in the end. Emerald Bay is beautiful from the top and even more when you are down at the bottom. Love 4 July pictures from the kids to the men and the women. Did you not get a copy of the whole family picture? The next to the last picture that you posted is me out on that rock in the water and from that vantage point it looks like I would have had to swim to get out there and so it's amazing that all I had to do was wade because you can't tell from the picture. I loved that beach we got to spend time at. I just loved Lake Tahoe in general. So beautiful.
I'm soooo mad we didn't go to that beach. So mad. At least we did all the other epic things.
I love the picture of Hazel with the geese, and the one right after it where June has her arms around Hazel. Also the one of Hazel in the backpack on your Dad's back. This looks like such a beautiful place!
I remember that Truman and Seth were born just a few days apart...your parents were out here visiting (I can't remember now if you were with them) and they saw Truman but they just missed seeing Seth. He was born the day they left and if we had known he was going to come so fast, they probably would have stuck around to see him. They did take all my other kids to Gettysburg that morning, which was a big help!!
Post a Comment