It wasn't completely unusual that my dad was home early that day. It was, after all, the day before Thanksgiving and I had a half day at school so he probably had a half day at work. But something felt... wrong. As I was going upstairs to put my stuff away my dad told me to come back down after I was done. Feeling odd I asked, “Did somebody die?” which was weird of me to assume, but I guess sometimes your spirit just knows. It can feel that the earth became more lonely somehow.
“Yes.” was my dad's short reply.
We were suppose to be getting ready to
leave to go to Logan, Utah for Thanksgiving that year to be with my
mom's family. Normally we spent the holiday with the only family we
had in Boise- my dad's cousin Keith, his wife Nancy and their kids-
the oldest being my age and best friend, Alyse. We had grown up
together in Boise since we were what? 4 years old? But a few months
earlier they had moved to Texas and it seemed like the worse thing
that had ever happened to me.
My mind started racing at my dad's
honest answer. Who could have died? “Oh no!” I thought, “my
grandma or grandpa!” and I raced down the stairs.
I sat on the left side of the couch. My
mom was in the rocking chair, crying. My sister Erin was on the right
side of the couch. Where was my dad sitting? I don't even know... he
might as well have been floating in the air because all I know is
that he started by saying:
“So Keith and Nancy were driving...”
“Semi truck... van.... all the kids
were there.... Nancy died on impact... Keith hospital...life support”
I never saw the semi truck or the van.
The road. Nothing. That day a few words were the weapons that killed
my loved ones. Simple words. I could never forgive the letters that
came together to form those words.
November 22, 2000. Three days after I
had turned 15. The day before Thanksgiving.
I had never dealt with death like this
before or with this kind of shock. I remember laying in the back seat
of our Windstar van driving down to Logan, of all the god-forsaken
places (so it seemed that day.) I cried and I slept and cried. The
sky was ugly and grey and as it darkened it was as if God's pen
broke, leaking black ink onto any light. I was mad that my parents
were dragging me down there. I had offered all the savings that my
teenage self had to get an flight to Texas- to get to Alyse and her 4
younger siblings who were in the hospital- but of course a last
minute holiday flight cost a million dollars and besides, what was I
going to do but be in the way? We had no choice but to sit back and
wait....
Wait for more news.
News that on Thanksgiving day Keith was
taken off life support and sent home to be with his beautiful wife.
News that the baby, Caleb, may not
live. But no, he's going to make it.
News that the other kids would be fine
but there were some broken bones.
News.
I put a brown blanket on the floor in
my cousin's room that night and laid down on it, refusing to move. My
two younger cousins were too little to understand and kept trying to
get me to play. I wouldn't respond. I just laid there.
After that blur of a weekend I went
back to school for a day or two before heading to Utah for the
funerals. My earth science teacher smiled with her long blonde hair
to her waist, and asked how my break was.
“People died.” I said with a blank
stare and took my seat.
Some of my friends seemed to care. But
others didn't understand. At lunch break we sat on the stairs in the
hall of our high school. I told them briefly what happened. They
exclaimed, “Oh my gosh! Oh terrible” and then continued on
talking about boys and who they wanted to kiss. In that moment I
decided something that would shape who I am, even to this day. “Few
people care and only those few people should be trusted. I will put
on a show of happiness for everyone else.”
We went to Utah for the funerals. Alyse
needed me that week. I sat by her in a small closet/room as she lay
on the bed, her crutches on the ground, wheelchair somewhere outside.
We talked for hours. She told me everything- every detail and every
horrific thing she went though. Saw. Heard. 13 years later I have not
forgotten a single detail.
She wanted me next to her at the
funeral so I sat up there in one of the first rows with her and all
the immediate family members- right where I felt my emotions belonged even
if my branch on the family tree didn't.
Who even knows what the sky looked like
that day. In my memories it is pale and grey. Empty and cold. Perhaps
it was sunny and gleaming with jewels of sapphire, but I can't image
God would be so unsympathetic.
There are details seared, etched and
carved into the wood of my mind about that time that I will not write
today. Today I think of something else.
It was hard then, and in the coming
years, to know what I was allowed to feel. I hurt so intensely for
the loss of two people who seemed like second parents to me. But any
emptiness I may have felt was trumped by the pain and complete
glass-shattering anguish of not being able to take my best friend's
pain away from her much greater loss.
How many times did I beg God to let me
take her pain for just a day? “I will feel everything she's
feeling- everything! Just let her have one day to feel the
heaviness lift. I will carry it all!”
And how many times did He have to
remind me that that wasn't my job?
Many times it has seemed that the
greatest trials in my life have been to watch others go through hell,
knowing that I cannot take it all away from them.
Perhaps this is why I am so afraid to
lose Buck or June or another close family member. I have seen too
many ghosts, gone to too many funerals, seen all the empty, numb eyes
stare at a grave. I know that since I cannot take another's pain away
that nobody would ever be able to take mine.
Alyse needed me that week. But
afterwards life needed to move on, and she needed space more. To help
her pain I had to retreat. Death has a funny way of killing more than
people. It kills dreams and ideas, future dinners around the table- and
in some cases, friendships.
Thirteen years have passed now,
however. Alyse and I started rebuilding a relationship after high
school and we became each others trusted confidants again. A gift I
never forget.
I understand better that within God's
wonderful plan there is someone who can take away all of our
pains. It's impossible to comprehend it all but I know
that Jesus Christ came to earth to suffer for us. He gave us a way to
have freedom from the pains of this earth. I don't know how much time
it takes for each person before He finally takes it ALL but I believe
He sometimes will carry our cross at least for a day here and there
until we can make it home to be with Him. After all, He carried His.
And I learned that I still have a role
to play. I cannot take the heavy buckets from my friends' hands and
carry them but I can be the stick across their shoulders to put the
buckets on to help distribute the weight.
This month at the most recent funeral I
attended, an apostle of God spoke and told us how death is a precious
gift to God. It's a homecoming. It's a calming perspective to see it
that way. A Gift.
And until we all have that heavenly
homecoming party with our family, I know that we can find pieces of
it here to guide us.
Tall grass. Soft, singing winds.
Laughter.
And lullabies.
And save these questions for another day
I think I know what you've been asking me
I think you know what I've been trying to say
I promised I would never leave you
Then you should always know
Wherever you may go, no matter where you are
I never will be far away
Goodnight my angel, now it's time to sleep
And still so many things I want to say
Remember all the songs you sang for me
When we went sailing on an emerald bay
And like a boat out on the ocean
I'm rocking you to sleep
The water's dark and deep, inside this ancient heart
You'll always be a part of me
Goodnight my angel, now it's time to dream
And dream how wonderful your life will be
Someday your child may cry, and if you sing this lullaby
Then in your heart there will always be a part of me
Someday we'll all be gone
But lullabies go on and on
They never die
That's how you and I will be.”
Song lyrics from Billy Joel's "Lullaby."
And for the record,
this was more terrifying to post
than I first imagined it would be.
7 comments:
I'm glad you shared this, partly because your writing is beautiful, but also because it is amazing to hear of examples of the atonement working in people's life. I feel that most examples we hear, read about, or experience have to do with overcoming sin, which is miraculous, but to see it work in children overcoming unbearable trials is something I find so beautiful and miraculous.
You are such an incredible friend and an incredible writer. Thank you for this.
Tanya Hanamaikai-
I'm mad I can't simply be reading this in front of you so I can let the chokes on my breath, the sighs of amazement and guffaws speak for themselves!!! I hate when you write things that leave me completely tongue tied and yet obligated to express everything you put me through!!! AAHH!!
As for your vulnerability worry, I think the missing Buck post was a good warm up to it.
Everything you say, that you process, is important and special. A lot like the Buck post, again, you are expressing so much LOVE and who can have a problem with that??
The broken pen is GORGEOUS, the "news" repetition is so poignant, "People died", The lunch break experience and impact, your prayers to take your best friend's pain, that dread that no one could take yours, then you bring it home, POW, to the glory of the atonement, and then the whole thing with the stick and the buckets just about made me cry...oh gosh okay...successfully tearing up thinking over it now...because it makes me think of you and how loyally you have lived up to that awareness you achieved.
Ok this has officially emotionally exhausted me now! and then you go and add the Lullaby...oi...enuff said.
Today
Rikki Marie Mangat
12:29pm
Hi Anna! So I just read your latest blog post and I'm fighting back tears! You told this horrific story very eloquently...having kids really puts it into perspective how precious life and family really are.
Oh geez. That was an emotional roller coaster of light. Thank you.
(Also, November's are the worst)
I remember that day too; how grieved I was and how terrible I felt that I was so far away and couldn't do anything. You are right about the stick and bucket analogy...we can't take away the pain of another, but I'm sure you eased the pain, just by being there and caring. And of course it's so comforting to know that there is someone who can take all the pain away.
I still cry every time I hear that Billy Joel song! Also another song called "You Make Me Feel Brand New" (don't know who sang it) because Nancy sang it to Keith at their wedding reception. I was in the store one day and heard that one, and yep...tears!
You really have a way with words. What a beautiful way to express such tender feelings. I loved your testimony and admire you for sharing something so real and personal.
Post a Comment