I'm not so sure that this will be interesting to anyone at all, but alas, I post away. You see, one of my life goals is to go through and write a personal book about each story behind the accomplished life goals, which I have slowly started doing. So here is one that I have been wanting to document because I am proud of it. (and I know that life goals, or bucket lists, have become super trendy, which is fantastic, but I'm a lifer- my list started in elementary school- I mean business here) ;)
So the goal is to:
Collect random plates instead of just having china.
I have dreams of sitting guests down, each with a different and unique place setting- could make for great conversataion at dinner right? And I also dream of my kids fighting (yes fighting) over "their" plate and saying "you KNOW I always use the Japanese plate, give it back!"
Ah, dreams.
So without further rambling, here is my collection so far, which is more than just plates.
The first photo is of the dinner ware I have created. I took a ceramics class in college (and over all it was a disaster) and I got to take a class learning to blow glass for a Christmas present (both of these classes fulfilling life goals as well) As you can see, I enjoyed the marshmallow glaze in pottery...
And these are the cups from glass blowing. They've become "his" and "hers" cups in our home.
These come from Armenia. Well, the holders and the little cup. The other one I just put in the holder to show you. but aren't they cool?!
On the left is my "feet cup," the middle is a thick milk glass that my grandma was going to leave me in her will but gave to me at my bridal shower instead (set of four) and the right one is from a set of dessert cups from an antique store I got for 2$.
These are my tea cups. Left is from my sister, two middle are from a friend, and the right is from a set from Armenia.
This set is from Japan.
the traumatizing tree-of-life-lion-killing-blue-animal is from DI and the other one is a coconut wood plate from Hawaii.
These are from the in-laws from an antique store, given to me for Christmas.
Left plate is from a set from Armenia and the right one is a single lone plate from Anthropology store (I know they spell that differently but whatever)
And.... this isn't a dish but its the one thing I'm really proud of that I made in ceramics class. :)
Who wants to come over for dinner!?

4 comments:
love it. those are awesome.
I love unique and / or pretty dishes! I resist the urge to buy them because, sadly, I don't have any place to keep them! Maybe some day.... I really like the frog one and the bird one. Have you seen my post about my salt & pepper shaker collection? (It's in November 2008). I thought you'd like to see some of those!
Love the plates. And I volunteer to consume food off of them at any time., :)
your collection is amazing so far! i really like the glass blowing ones! i've always wanted to do that. for a while i did something called flame lighting. kind of similar. also, it's funny this is one of your life goals because this is one of mine! not exactly a goal, but a little dream i've always wanted, that and non matching chairs at the table, along with a non matching table. too bad i haven't collected anything! one day, when we know where we'll be and what's happening it will be a little easier! i should keep my eyes open though!
Post a Comment