This past week I made the worst choice of my life. MY LIFE.
I went to the grocery store with all four kids.
It was partly out of need but mostly it was a rash decision based on my loneliness- I couldn't stand being home for one more minute. I have so much anxiety right now being in there with all four kids... BUT the problem was that anywhere I could have gone would have meant driving home in rush hour traffic with the added bonus of construction and a newborn and toddler who hate being in the car. So the grocery store was the best that I could come up with.
But I'm a fool! At first I had two carts- I pushed the big one that was filled with a car seat and Rose. June pushed a tiny kid cart and Hazel sat in that.
And let's just talk about how I had squeezed into some shorts that didn't really fit so while I drove there I had unbuttoned them for comfort. And you can see where this is going... of course I forgot to button them up again so I spent a good ten minutes roaming the produce while my shorts were not only unbuttoned but also incredibly unzipped- and fulled exposed by my shirt that was stuck up above it. So how many people got to witness that? I shudder to think.
So after I, ahem, fixed that, I raged through the store aisles throwing in pretzels, animal cookies, and cereal- anything that looked like it would make them quiet and happy at home. All the while chanting, "Stop running with the cart June!" "Rose, sit down! Do you want a sucker? Money? A CAR?!" "No shhhh, Johnny, you're okay, please take this pacifier!" "Hazel! Don't throw things!" "No, you can't put five cartons of ice cream in the cart!"
Johnny's cries
grew louder as I dragged the cart along, my hand in his car seat
trying to calm him down. But it was no use... we had too far to go
still and he was so mad. So I got him out. June took over pushing my
cart and Hazel got out and pushed the tiny one. So now kids are all
over as I'm bouncing a mad newborn in my arms while a small army of
shopping carts circled me.
Up ahead I saw the Halloween section, tucked nicely away in the back quiet corner of the store. It's there I sought refuge. Among the pails of pumpkins, bags of candy, and cheaply made costumes, I found large rack of those costumes and sat down with the fabric somewhat hiding me and I proceeded to nurse Johnny. And no, I didn't have a nursing cover with me. It was going okay, the girls were thrilled to find light up skeletons and masks to play with. But as Johnny gulped up his milk some kids came down our quiet path WITH their DAD, of course. I tried to hid my exposed self behind the Iron Man, the hulk and the witch. And they stayed there forever and didn't even take anything to buy. THANK YOU.
And by the time I
was done and we were heading to the check out I had let the girls
pick out a treat for “being good” about 18 times, forgetting each
time that I had already let them. We looked dire enough that a few
people came over and offered to help me, bless them. And as I was
leaving and the cashier asked robotically “Would you like any help
out today?” I held back my sarcastic, “What do YOU think, idiot?”
And instead politely replied “Yes, please.”
And now I know,
you know? Next time I'm desperate to leave the house, I think I'd
first go to the dentist before going back there again.... with all of
them. I've learned my lesson and from here on out and I will be diligent
in ordering my groceries online in time to actually do the pick up
instead.
I know other people have worse horror stories than me about going out with all their kids- share one if you've got it! We're all in this mess together! 💪
10 comments:
Oh my goodness...should I feel bad that I laughed my way through this?!? I'm so sorry! It really sounds aweful. We've had some not great grocery experiences. The last one before Charlie started school I overheard these two comments...."It's official, I'm not having kids!" and "I'm surprised no one is crying" No more store trips with all the kids! Anyway, please remind me to tell you how 1st grade has been super rough for Charlie and how he books it out of the school when I drop him off, running and screaming irrationally towards the road leaving me with my little kids and wondering who to follow/stay with...it's been a horrible reoccurring thing this year!!
I laughed too, so don’t feel bad. It’s only because we’ve been there and we are laughing at ourselves too.
Noël sent me to read this...we’ve all been there and the good news is we survive, though probably with more then a little of our sanity missing. I look back now and laugh (but in the moment I probably cried)...and then I’m grateful I have four in school so I only have to take two out with me.
Ha, ha, I LOVE how you managed to snap pics and record snips- you are AMAZING! I have too many stories to tell but the one that gives me ptsd was the time we wnt to kmart and the twins were babies- they were anxious to have everybody try the new self checkouts (at the time- remember life before self checkouts?!) my firt experience was dismal as I couldn't keep the kids off the thing so it kept thinking I was adding things without ringing them up, all while an employee just stands there and laughs- doesn't even offer to help ring me up cuz you know, it's a SELF checkout! Grrrr!
The difference between you and me is that I felt WAY more anxiety being in a public place with all my kids than being at home with them. So I avoided going out at all costs!! Whoever the infant was at the time was always crying because they all wanted to nurse all of the time and wouldn't take bottles or pacifiers or sleep. The worst experience I had when Ammon (My #4) was a baby and I was out alone with all of them was at the mall and I lost Maddie. Spent 15 minutes thinking she'd been kidnapped out the nearby exit and I'd never see her again.
I’m so glad you turned this into a blog post!
Hahaha this was awesome! You are braver than I am. I am pretty sure that I waited for Tim to be home before I escaped. My worse stories have to do with taking newly potty trained kids shopping and worrying about them having an accident.
Haha! My kids have had meltdowns in that exact Smiths before. I am so sorry! Shopping with three can be nuts, I can't imagine four.
I took my 3 oldest boys to the grocery store once. Jared was at that age when he wanted to walk around instead of sit in the cart and he was making such a fuss that I decided to let him try walking around. Of course, he wouldn't stay with me and Scott and Tanner decided to be helpful so they kept trying to catch him for me but that made Jared think it was a game, so he kept running away from them. In no time they were running around in circles in the aisles and I couldn't catch any of them. Then the inevitable happened and one (or more) of them crashed into a large display of ice cream toppings...the kind in glass jars!! A bunch of them fell over and smashed on the floor, making a terrific noise that attracted the attention of every shopper in the store and of course made a big mess. A store employee came to clean up the mess while I beat a hasty retreat out of the store, with the employee and everyone else in the store glaring at me like I was the worst mother on the planet. I was so embarrassed that I vowed I would never take them to the store again!
I think all of us got a little chuckle out of your no good, terrible, bad day. You had to at least give it a try once and you did. I give you a thumbs up for trying.
Post a Comment