After a one night babymoon, we drove a nice drive and then got to "the mansion," where my friend's wedding was at and where we got to stay. Well first we had to drive through
a dusty old town, so small that there is only one tiny market with a
few groceries and walls of liquor. But at the top of the hill of town
there is a gate. We put in the code that we had been given and as the
gate opened we were transported into a magical mansion land. An old
historic home loomed above us, surrounded by lush, green tropical
trees and small orange orchards.
We met everyone there and Kristin, the bride, took us on a tour.
And then Buck and I explored and I took a million photos. I was
obsessed with all the details. It's a home built in the late 1800's
that actually burnt down in the 1980's but was then rebuilt to
replicate the original. There were so many colorful stained glass
windows, carved wood, etched glass, sweeping stairs, hidden rooms,
and large windows overlooking the property of grass, palm trees and
purple flowering trees, and a large craggy mountain as the backdrop.
There was a swimming pool with cabanas, porches and decks, a hammock,
hidden tea tables in the flowering bushes. A real dreamland! There
was also a hidden underground tunnel that lead to a tavern of sorts,
a bachelor-pad dreamland. haha
Our bedroom had two stained glass windows, walls of ornate wooden
panels, and a secret door to a green tiled bathroom. What luck! I was
a spoiled bridesmaid, that's for sure.
Can you find the door to the bathroom?
Other area's of the house. And I didn't get much of the main floor with the dining room and such because it had a bunch of wedding stuff happening in them.
Bridal suit
The tavern
That afternoon/evening was a pool party with catered taco truck
food. Then we had the dress rehearsal. My long time friend, Amber, whom I've known since I was 6, was also there and
another acquaintance from Boise, so it was good to have some people
to hang out with.
Kristin was one of my best friends I met in high school right after I moved to a new house and school. It was good to see her again, it's been a long time! I'm glad we've kept in contact all these years!
Some more exploring the grounds. It was a really tough weekend. ;)
I had to post this photo because WHAT IS BUCK'S FACE DOING?! haha
After we all hung out for a long time, and swam in the pool,
Buck and I took a late night trip into a neighboring town to find
more food. It was a random night. We went to the grocery store for
some medicine, then got sandwiches, then donuts at a Donut shop, where, the “donut”
man, who was from Laos, departed us all his wisdom on how we need to
carry cash so that if anyone ever holds a knife to our throat that we
can give them the money. He spoke about it long enough that I was
uncomfortable- like, is this a common problem there? Should we run to
our car in fear and drive away? Haha And then he ended with “People
do not think that the donut man can have such wisdom but then
they go away and get degrees for four years and you know what? They
come back and tell me I am right.”
Ha ha
Then we decided to really top off our healthy eating and get ice
cream.
Random night.
The next morning was the wedding day. Mostly I was up in the
bridal suite getting ready or hanging out with the bridal party. We
all took turns getting our make up done and hair and such. Kristin
had personalized flute glasses for each of us and silky pink robes.
Everyone drank about 42 mimosas and I had juice. I wish I had all the photos from the photographer but not yet. I'll have to share those another month when they are done!
The ceremony was good. The Catholic priest did
a great job. He said some beautiful things about marriage, sticking together,
and keeping God involved. We all stood under that giant purple tree
and it sprinkled purple petals down on us the whole time. Also, my
bouquet was amazing and full of bright colors so that was fun. But Buck couldn't get any photos because everyone got banned from using cameras from the actual photographer so all I have is this arch photo and some after shots.
I was obsessed with all the bright colors of my bouquet and of all the flowers at the wedding!
Amber and me. :) It's fun to be besties since first grade.
After the ceremony it was cocktail hour. While Buck and I
obviously only drank water, we thoroughly enjoyed the fancy
appetizers. House-made crackers with Gorgonzola whip on top- yes
please!
Eventually it was time to go sit at the tables with their
impressive tablescapes of flowers and candles. It was straight out of
a magazine wedding! But then the bridal party had to formally walk in
in front of everyone again. And then the DJ and MC guy made it into
this whole thing where everyone stood up, made an aisle, and then we
had to be announced and come dancing through the crowd. Back in the
day, I would have loved this moment of glory- but currently? I don't
know who I am and I felt dread at jiggling my belly down that tunnel
of cheering strangers. haha But I did it and the party went on. There was
dancing for a minute and then we took our seats and food came out and
that was all fancy of course. The sun went down and it was pretty chilly!
There were speeches and toasts and then lots of dancing.
Honestly, it was probably the best weddings I've ever been to. It all seemed to go perfectly as planned, on time, everything worked out,
showed up. It was designed and organized. Everything and everyone was
beautiful and perfect.
Just a really flattering photo of me but LOOK at how perfect Kristin is!
The next morning we had to end our amazing weekend and fly home but you better believe I took my bouquet as a carry on back home to Utah to enjoy for a couple more days. ;)
And as some of my posts end, I must conclude with my thank you speeches. Ahem:
-Kristin, if you read this, Thank you for asking me to be apart of your beautiful wedding. For allowing us to stay in such a magical place. For making your bridal party feel so special and included. You are such a kind person to your core and to top it all off, you look like a real life princess. I am so grateful we became friends and that we continue on!
- Jan and Dennis- how can we ever thank you enough for watching our crazy girls for four days?! You already do so much for us all of the time and while I know you truly enjoy your time with your granddaughters, I also know they are exhausting! ;) So thank you for loving them and taking such good care of them. It's an extra huge gift to not only be able to get away sometimes, but to not worry about your kids while you're gone either, knowing they are in the best hands.
-Susie- Thank you for all the hard work you did altering and eventually rebuilding my bridesmaid dress to fit my pregnant belly! That was no small thing and I truly loved how it turned out!
- Cousin Maddie- Thank you for housing sitting and making sure the kittens didn't die. I know our new home is not a close drive, and we really appreciate your sacrifice in helping us! Even if you all had a crazy cousin party in our absence. ;)
Okay, I think that is that.
God bless weekends away and marriages and pretty flowers and good friends.




























































5 comments:
That house is amazing!! And the wedding looks picture perfect! You will have to post the official photos so I can see more. Also, banning all camera so people are forced to actually experience the wedding is a great idea!
Who knew buck had a gangsta face? And everything is soooooo beautiful. And I think I need more details about this crazy cousin party???
Can I just say the colors of this wedding made me so happy!!! What a fun trip!
That mansion!! And having palm trees and orange groves surrounding it makes it that much better!
WOW! What a beautiful wedding! And so great that you got to enjoy it so fully! And that Laos man story had me laughing!
Post a Comment