Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Luminaria

I believe that the word "Luminaria" is only to be said with a British accent. That is, if you're not frozen to death by the end of it. 
But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Luminaria is a walk-thru magical light land that Thanksgiving Point puts on, this being only the second year now. It's pretty rad. They have many different "lands" and some of them even have scents to them like peppermint or pines. We took the girls and met up with most of Buck's family.

We had a grand time and I layered my girls in more bundles of clothing than you can even imagine. But it was still not enough. And the last leg of the journey had Hazel in the deepest sobs, begging to go home and Rose screaming at the top of her little lungs as Buck practically ran up the hill to get inside. I shouldn't have been surprised, this also happened last year with June and Hazel. But bonus: June was happy the whole time so we see that age brings with it some tolerance. 
But leading up to those tragedies, we had a blast!

Even before she lost her mind, Rose was pretty unsure of what we were putting her through.

Warming our cheeks, in all their varieties, by a fire-pit stop.

The beautiful Christ centered section:

My in laws were so sweet and surprised us all with a reserved fire pit at the end with a s'mores kit. But this is where the melt downs began and never ended and I feel so bad that everyone left the fire to go home with us!

And this explains the ending.
But hey, you can't win all parts of the story. It was still magical and fun most of the time and we've learned a valuable lesson that anyone under 6 years of age gets to stay home with a babysitter. And besides, I can't really blame them- it WAS cold and when we got back to the car their fingers and toes were red and frozen! I felt so bad! But Hazel and Rose, if you're reading this one day, just know that you were in multiple pairs of socks, gloves, pants, sweaters, jackets and then thick coats, hats, and boots. We sure would have made for some lousy pioneers, huh?! 

But I digress. The point of this post is clearly the twinkly light photos, Right? Actually, the REAL problem is that I'm writing this when it's nearly midnight and I am tired and should be in bed after a crazy day. But yet, here I am rambling about gloves and strands of lights. So, good night!

1 comment:

Max and Rebecca said...

This looks amazing and it didn't even look crowded. And i love that they can represent the true meaning of Christmas (the nativity presentations) at this light show. I don't think there is anything like that around here. Also...I need your photo tips on this kind of lighting! Our zoolights adventure was a fail since it was so crowded and cold! I ended up taking 5 pictures...3 of which are penguins..but you can look forward to that blog post once summer rolls around...