Monthly post for Little Hands Can!
Before
the internet or pinterest, my mother came up with a clever way to teach
my sister and me about service. One evening she presented us with this
gingerbread man she had made herself:
And
in his little backpack there was a poem about serving others. (That my
mom and I could not seem to remember) but it had to do with serving as a
surprise for others. We were instructed to do kind things for one
another and after we had done our good deed to leave the gingerbread man
there so whoever the recipient was would know that they had been
sneakily served. If you found you had been served then it was your turn
next to give to someone else in the family. Pretty much it was a game of
service tag with a gingerbread man.
Lately we've been focusing on serving in different ways in our community, which has been wonderful, but I wanted to bring the focus into our home because what does it matter if you're serving others out in the world, but neglecting and ignoring those who are closest to you?
So we made our own gingerbread man. We are left crafty than my mom so we cut it out of cardboard and let the girls each decorate a side.
Lately we've been focusing on serving in different ways in our community, which has been wonderful, but I wanted to bring the focus into our home because what does it matter if you're serving others out in the world, but neglecting and ignoring those who are closest to you?
So we made our own gingerbread man. We are left crafty than my mom so we cut it out of cardboard and let the girls each decorate a side.
And I made up my own little poem: (I did the best I could...)
Helping others is so much fun,
Sometimes I'm sneaky, help, then run!
Secret serving, I do all that I can,
But you can't catch me, I'm the gingerbread man!
And then the games began!
The help with dishes, beds, and laundry has been nice:
Helping others is so much fun,
Sometimes I'm sneaky, help, then run!
Secret serving, I do all that I can,
But you can't catch me, I'm the gingerbread man!
And then the games began!
The help with dishes, beds, and laundry has been nice:
Sometimes I leave an extra fun after-school snack:
It
is simple and easy and makes a happy little merry-go-round of service
in our family. The better we take care of each other, the more we can
help change the world.






3 comments:
I love this! So simple yet clearly making an impression. When I was probably 8 or 9 our primary made these little cards that said "Shalom." They had a message about serving others and then leaving the card so the next person could pay it forward like this. It's been years and years obviously, but that memory of service has stayed with me.
I love this idea!!
Service should always start in the family. Your poem is just as good as whatever the original one was I'm sure.
Post a Comment