Thursday, November 9, 2017

Italy: Day Two- Pasta Mama Mia

Day Two in Italy. 
This particular morning I was feeling impressed to take a photo of the breakfast at the villa.

So. That day I had tried a few different plans to try something off the beaten path. We ended up with something that was perfect. We got to go into an Italian's home and learn to make pasta! It was just us, out on the outskirts of town, seeing the way the people live.

We actually were introduced to Raffi though our church network because she is a local LDS member there in Italy! She spoke great English, but her father in law, who was the pasta master, didn't speak a word. It was cute watching him interact with the girls, helping them along with no words.

We had raviolis and plain noodles with a ragu sauce. Fresh salad, Tuscan bread, and fresh strawberry lemonade!

And then we had to rush back to the villa for a wedding rehearsal.

And then we went to check out of the villa and into the apartment we were staying the rest of the week. I loved being somewhere away from tourist and feeling a little bit like we lived in Italy. (except, you know, we didn't know the language...)

Aaaaand then. We tried to go see a thing that "You can't leave Florence without seeing!" but the girls got grumpy (I mean, I don't blame them) and maybe Buck got grumpy and maybe I got grumpy and so maybe we never made it anywhere but in circles and knots around town. Defeated, we got more gelato and went back to the apartment.

But the day was redeemed as my cousin Molly stayed back and fed the girls and got them to bed while Buck and I went back to the villa and joined the immediate families for a pre wedding feast.

2 comments:

Max and Rebecca said...

I've never craved pasta as much as I do right now!!! What an incredible idea, and the whole experience of that will probably be in your girls' memory much longer than the thing you almost saw that you must see in Florence! And the memories of June pouting in the streets of Florence will be a great memory too!

Adrian said...

Haha! Way to be real with the June pic. I remember you telling me about how you documented the moment. I love that you found a way to do something authentic despite time limits and travel.