The day after the wedding festivities, we took a tour to Cinque Terre. It's two hours from Florence and
it's five small coastal villages where colorful buildings are built high
up on the staggering sea cliffs, overlooking the emerald Mediterranean
Sea. We had to wake up early so we all mostly slept on the bus ride but
thankfully I woke up in time to see the large mountains of marble
surrounded in morning mist. They look like they are covered in snow! But
it is a solid mass of high rising marble- the marble Italians have been
carving statues out of for centuries. Who knew?! Beyond that there was
endless rolling hills of the Tuscany region with the occasional sun
baked homes along the way.
Once we got to the first
village we had to trek up and down by foot steep hills as we entered in.
We walked past small enclosed yards filled with lemon and persimmon
trees, narrow and crooked stone paths leading up to more small yards.
Purple flowers erupted among large bushes. Pastel pink, yellow, and
orange houses climbed the sides of the hills. I could have walked those
paths for weeks and never have been full of the rich display for all my
senses.
We had a little time there to go see the sea
and wander. Buck, Molly, and I went into a small bakery and shop and our
tour guide was in there and helped us order and authentic meal of local
focaccia bread, prosciutto, and cheese. It was amazing. But soon we had
to go to our first train and ride to the next town. The five towns can
only be accessed by boat, train, or hiking- no cars allowed!
So we took the train and had time at that village too where the
girls got to lit their first prayer candles in an old stone church. And
then we all shuffled onto a ferry boat where we sat up top and got to
ride around the cliff sides and see all the villages from the water's
view point. We got off at one of the last stops and went to eat at a
restaurant near the water's edge. We had plates of seafood, pesto
noodles, fresh mozzarella, and then ice cream swimming with fruit.
June trying seafood for the first time.
And
then I was free to run to the water! I was dying to touch the jewel
toned sea! I took my shoes off and stepped in, took a deep breath and
inhaled that moment- my first time touching the Mediterranean sea! I
honestly could have stayed there all day. All week or maybe for the rest
of my life! That water! It was so clear yet deeply, richly colored with
turquoise, emerald, and sapphire. The shore was covered in colorful
rocks and sea glass and June spent the whole time with me hunting for
rocks of jade, lavender, and rust. We found sea glass that was green,
blue, and amber. Never have I found such things! It was a most sorrowful
farewell when it was time to part ways with those gentle waves.

We
wandered through the town, found a little sea side park the girls
played on, ate more gelato and then boarded the next train to the final
village. Once there we went wild shopping the small stores. I bought
loads of local made pastas, a hand painted bowl and jug, and lemon
soaps. We visited another ancient stone catholic church. We said our
good byes to the sea.
And eventually we went back to
our bus and rode back to Florence. We all slept for a while. When I woke
up a vibrant sunset wrapped us up. it had been a good day.
![]() |
| The Marble Mountains |
Once in Florence Buck's family and us went to a local pizza place and ate gobs of pizza. And then it was bed time.
Only one more day left to post!
--------------------------------------------
The whole Italian Story:

















































2 comments:
I am glad you all finally got to relax and enjoy the country. This looks amazing!
This is truly amazing and I'm glad you got to make it there and experience some more of Italy away from the big city.
Post a Comment