A couple of months ago I got asked by a friend to blog for her non profit once a month. Her organization is called Little Hands Can and it's all about service for kids! It's awesome and I'm jealous I didn't think of it. ;) It's based in Oregon for now but hopefully one day they will be able to open a branch here in Utah. I've loved the challenge this commitment has given me already. I've had to think of ways to serve with my girls and it's been great! (A.k.a- I'm no saint, I did this for a deadline ;) )
You can see my first post HERE
Or the one you're about to read on my blog, on their blog, HERE.
So here's what we did for our service for the month of June:
There
are a lot of layers to the homeless problem in our country but when
teaching my girls about it, I appreciated how simple I was able to make
it:
- Some people don't have homes or food. We do and we should find ways to help others who are not as fortunate-
It
opened up a good discussion. My 6 year old figured it would be simple
to just give everyone a home. So we talked about how even if you don't
have all the resources to solve everyone's problems, you can still help
them out in smaller ways. Not only can we help others with their
physical needs but in doing so we let them know that we care about
them.
For this simple service I took my girls to the Dollar Store
and we walked the aisles and picked out items we thought would be
helpful in making some kits for the homeless. Then we came home and
assembled the kits into ziplock bags.
Since it's summer, we focused on that. We got sunblock, chapstick, some
first aid supplies, tooth brushes and paste, combs, tissues, candy,
juice, and snacks.
Then
it was time to pass them out. We found a couple of people in parking
lots while we were out running some errands. We parked the car and
walked together to give them the bag. They seemed truly grateful and as
we drove away we watched as they immediately applied the sunscreen and
opened the juice box.
Then we went downtown to our city. We
invited some friends as well. We had a fun afternoon at the outdoor mall
and then we found some people who were in need of our kits.
(I
didn't want the people we were helping to feel like we were in this just
for a picture so I only took a few discrete photos if I had a chance.
We also did this in a busy area, during the day time, with an adult
close by.)
Everyone we gave a kit to was surprised and happy. The experienced touched me even more than I
thought it would and the girls were thrilled to be helping others. Now
we've decided that we need to make more kits to have on hand in our car
to give out whenever there's a chance.













4 comments:
Meredith Leigh Nehring
Cute! I like this!
Jade Lowe
I love this! ❤️ I definitely want to do this
Rachelle Louw Pew Love it! Great way to get them to be service oriented!
Jan Harrison
I love that you did this!
What an awesome way to serve and teach your children about loving and serving others!
What can I say except that I love this and love that you're coming up with ideas in the future as well.
This is such a good idea. I don't usually have cash on me when I see people in need and I feel bad that I usually can't help them. Having some kits on hand would be a great alternative!
Post a Comment