Monday, July 10, 2017

Grandma Darlene

Buck's sweet grandma passed away a month or so ago. We loved visiting her and she LOVED her great (&) grand kids and seeing them. This is a photo of her holding baby June.
 It's a funny little thing that Facebook choose to show me this photo the day after June told God, in her bedtime prayer, to "give a message to grandma Darlene. Tell her I love her and I miss her so much and I hope she had a good day in heaven." ❤️


She was my biggest "liker" and commented on Facebook for years. Anytime I did one of those silly Facebook games that tells you who your soul mate is or who you'd go to jail with it was always Darlene 😂 Facebook has been too silent now without her.

Darlene had lupus for many many years and she was ill often. Yet she was a fighter and wanted to stick around to see all those grand kids and she lived until she was 83 years old and passed away peacefully in her sleep with loved ones by her side, freeing her from all the physical pain she had been in for so long.


We will all miss her but we are grateful that she is free from the pain. The funeral was truly beautiful and it was fun to learn even more about her from when she was younger. They had a musical number of the song that Buck's grandpa wrote for her when he proposed. Buck's grandpa was by Darlene's side, taking care of her, nearly every single day of their marriage. 

Here are few photos I snapped at the funeral.
Buck's dad with his siblings

They also asked me to sing the closing song at the funeral. I felt pulled in the direction of "I'll be Seeing You" and Buck's cousin played the guitar. As I sang it I looked down at saw Buck's grandpa sobbing at the music. I felt a strength to sing it out with all the feeling I had. It felt like I was truly giving him a gift through singing and I've never felt that so strongly before. I will never forget that moment. It's everything I could ever hope for when singing- to truly bring the emotions out that someone needs to feel. 

I only have this clip of a practice run of the song, but just like the funeral, I'll end this post with that. 


1 comment:

Lillybet said...

I used to see comments from Darlene all the time and I didn't know she was the grandma. I miss seeing her comments as well. Sweet moments.