Thursday, February 2, 2017

The Circus

I had just had a conversation with my mom telling her how we should see if the circus was coming to town so that we could get Hazel some tickets for her birthday. Hazel's been obsessed with clowns but I didn't want to do a clown party... (creepy) so I thought it would be a fun compromise. The next day my friend Mallory texted me and asked if we wanted some free tickets to the circus this week! I didn't even know it was here but of course I said "YES." She even volunteered to watch Rose while we went. AMAZING.

We got there in time to get great seats and the girls were excited. They even talked Buck into buying cotton candy and pop corn. Once the show started they were enthralled. Especially June. She was way into every act and got super anxious at the most dangerous ones like the archer who was shooting arrows at an apple on a woman's head. She could hardly watch! They even thought the lame clowns were funny. We ended up leaving at intermission because it was already 9:00 pm and a school night but we got to see: The tigers, motocross riders in that spherical cage-thingy, clowns, archer, horses, balancing acts, ribbon dancers, a girl who danced while hanging on a rope held on to her hair.... and a guy who ran around in this circle while it spun around (that's a horrible description but it was a terrifying thing and he almost died like three times, I swear.) 

I felt relaxed and present. I loved reacting and cheering with the girls. I left feeling so happy to have the new memories to keep. I also felt excited for when Rose is older and gets to join in on these experiences with us.
His funnel cake.
 And I get to brag that I opted for a water. ;)
 Tigers jumping through a ring of fire... that's can't be humane right....?
This was when June was getting nervous and kept covering her eyes
 Girl hanging by her hair.... so random.
  And the other random photos I took:
 (p.s. there were protesters outside for the animal rights so I took a brochure and read all about it the next morning and now I feel real guilty about going to the circus... It really is true that we don't NEED the animals- the humans do plenty of crazy tricks that entertain and they get to choose that life style. The animals are in crates, on the road their whole lives. So sad. So maybe we need to join the movement to end the use of animals in circuses.... and now that I'm ending this happy post on a low note, I better stop.... haha)

2 comments:

4boyzmdmom said...

My two older boys each have a free ticket to the Ringling Brothers Circus that they can use anytime in their life, and we have NEVER used them!! Mostly because when they were little, we were too poor to take them (we would still have to buy tickets for Frank and I, plus Jared). Now I hear that the Ringling Brothers Circus is actually shutting down, so I guess they will never use those tickets. We did take them to a small circus here in Frederick several years ago, so they aren't totally deprived!! And honestly, I wasn't incredibly impressed. Circuses in general just seem kind of creepy to me (not just the clowns)! I mean, obviously the performers are pretty talented. I could never do any of those things that they do! But it must be a hard life. I agree that for the animals especially it would be difficult.

Adrian said...

Going to a circus has always been on my bucket list. They have those free kids tickets every year and every year I think, I wish our kids were big enough to take. Next year we will have a little guy, but I think Ellis and Elora will be big enough to enjoy it.