Thursday, August 4, 2016

Space Ships & Trains

Last week I got June all pumped up to go to the planetarium. The night before I told her that we were going to go to the moon. I just kind of said it but didn't realize the impact it would have. June GASPED and exclaimed, "Oh my gohs, oh my GOSH! I can't believe this! We are going to the moon!" And then I was like, crap, I can't let her down now! But I felt that I could make it work. She's young and has a huge imagination and they have all these cool exhibits where you can walk on a an area that looks like the moon and mars and other things like that. 

So the next day we drove up to Salt Lake City. I was getting nervous but as we pulled into the parking garage she was like "Oh my gosh we're parking in outer space!" What a relief. If she thought a parking garage was exciting, the inside would be epic! Right?

Wrong. We walked up the "space stairs" and into.... a whole bunch of torn down exhibits with caution tape everywhere. UGH. They were redoing the whole place! We could have gone to the movie theater but that wasn't cool. So we searched for anything we could find and found a few things to look at but ultimately I had to tell June that the space ship was being fixed and we couldn't make it to the moon that day after all.
But don't worry. The gift shop was still in tact and we spend $8 on some packets of astronaut ice cream.

The good news was that we were meeting up with some cousins. So Chelsea and I brainstormed a back up plan while the girls feasted on their space treat. We decided on taking the train to the library since it's a super cool city library and hey, trains are almost as cool as space ships, right?

So we had to take three different trains to get there and wait in 100 degree sun at each stop BUT the girls thought it was the best adventure.

And the library did NOT disappoint.
We rode the glass elevator to the top floor.
Then explored the kids section. They had  a cool ice cave reading space.
And "the attic" space
We ate our lunches on the patio which had two huge waterfalls. We pretended like we had no idea the girls were getting soaked as they played...
Then we took the trains back to the broken space ship, got in our cars, and drove home. Needless to say it was a full afternoon. But an adventure worth having!

We'll make it to space another day.

3 comments:

4boyzmdmom said...

Bummer about not making it to space, but that library looks epic!

Adrian said...

That's hilarious! Bummer about the construction. Also, you went to the roof top garden of the library I hope.

Lillybet said...

Yes it is nice to see they can make libraries so inviting. Good times.