June's really into baking and playing restaurant. Especially after her nana and pops got her a pizza chef set for her birthday. She also likes to peruse through her little cook books like it's reading material. Who knows if this interest will last a lifetime but either way, she's into it now.
So one day she was begging me to do a "real restaurant" and I decided to make it into a whole thing for her to experience and learn from. So we picked a day a week away from that and started making preparations.
For that week we did something each day to prepare. Made a menu
list, sent a video invite to family, made a grocery list, shopped,
and I had her paint some signs and a menu.
She named it "Polka Dot Diner" and it was a wild success. And yes, she charged money. ;) But June truly worked hard. She
helped make the stuff ahead of time like I mentioned and she helped me carry the tables to the yard and set
everything up. Then we decorated the cupcakes and baked the pizza
crusts so that we would be ready.
In my mind, the adult version of hers, we could have gone all out with all sorts of decorations and details but I wanted to let this be hers and keep it simple and true to her age. And this is what that looks like:
l
(I'm... a little concerned about her model pose..)
Drinks: Water, grape juice, and banana vanilla smoothie
Appetizer: Sour dough (something she invented once- a grape baked in dough. HA)
Dinner: Pizza, noodles, or an "art sandwich"
Sides: grapes, watermelon, carrots
Dessert: Chocolate ice cream, Mickey Cupcake
(She picked out all of these things by herself)
Side story about the "mickey cupcakes"- When she said that one I asked what those were and she said, "I will show you," pulls out the iPad, opens up a video tutorial on making mickey mouse cupcakes and then after we watched it she said, "SEE?" (its from a Mickey mouse app, I don't let her roam free on youtube...) ;)
And anyway, once things started June would seat everyone. Then rush back in to get their drinks.
Then take their orders. Then we would rush in and prepare each plate.
She really worked hard and helped with every dish and brought it all
out, with help, of course. But she did it all. We would clear the
tables and throw away the paper dishes in the trash. “Whew!” She
exclaimed in an upbeat tone, “Having a restaurant is hard work!”
And also, “Being a baker is hard work! But I love it and I want to
be a baker when I grow up!”
First Adrian and Elora showed up. Then Jade and Curtis came and then Ben
and Lauren and last was Nana and Pops. It ended up being the perfect
flow and we were able to keep up with everyone's orders.
The Mickey Mouse cupcake! :)
And THIS is an "art sandwich," something she saw once on a show and now I never know when I leave the room if I will come back out in and find the supplies for this everywhere and June happily making one.
"This strawberry is JUST the way Ben likes it!"
The real highlight for her was taking people their bills and coming
back in with a fist full of cash. She was jumping with joy. Should I
be worried about that? Haha
She also helped clean up and even wash dishes. I made sure to
cover each part of having a restaurant. Tomorrow we will go over her
money and she will have to pay for some food (although I wont make
her pay the real amount...) and to pay her workers (mom and dad haha just like $1 each) and
of course her tithing! :) Don't worry, she made about $45! More work
than a lemonade stand but also a better pay off.
Afterwards I was letting the girls play and relax in the yard
while we cleaned up some “grown up stuff.” Then I hear June
wailing and sobbing as she sits, stuck in the baby swing. I go to her
and she says, “You guys were going to leave me here ALL NIGHT!”
to which I replied, “Why on earth would I ever want to do that to
you?!” and she said, “Because you want to go in there and have
your own life and STEAL MY MONEY!” She was serious but I couldn't
help but laugh! First day making money and she already thinks that's
all anyone is out for.
I'll admit, after the whole thing I felt like a good mom. I let her imagine and create. Work hard and learn. I want to teach her that anything is possible if you're willing to put in the work. And that there is always room in our family to try new ideas and explore interests.
But MAN, it was exhausting. I am not sure how I can keep it up through the years and with each kid! haha! I feel like this should last for a good year right? But already she is already asking to do other new ventures. And to have a restaurant every week. ;)
. . . .
We'll just have to see about that! ;)



















7 comments:
She has found her calling! Yum!
You are definitely a good mom. I don't think I would have had the courage, time, and energy to do something like this with one of my kids. But it looks like it turned out so wonderful! I'm sure she will always remember it! She's learning some great lessons along the way,too!
Wow, I am not sure what to say about this epic undertaking. What a lot of work but what a lot of fun too I am dying that I didn't get to be there. At least with the Internet and pictures I feel like I could be a part of it in some small way. And I love the "no bad guys allowed" sign. That should always be the case in our lives. A fun and creative menu and it is fun to see what she likes and specially what she createss. I couldn't stop laughing at her response to what she thought you were doing when you were cleaning up and she was sitting on the swing. ππΌπ
THIS IS THE BEST!!!!! And since you did this with her when she was 5, for each of her future endeavors she should be able to do more on your own which means she can continue being creative with less work from you.
What a special thing that's so specific to JUNE! How fun!
I mean "her own"...not "your own"! also, I bet you would be the best homeschool mom!
This was a perfect evening. I love that you encourage her to be herself and help her make her dreams reality. The signs were my favorite part :)
Post a Comment