Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Thanksgiving 2015

This year for Thanksgiving we went to Boise. We got to go on Tuesday and stay until Sunday. And it was the best week.
The drive there went well. Except that Buck's lottery ticket didn't win us a thing.
 We got in that night in time to get the girls in bed and then we ran away on a date to see The Hunger Games. We even got pop corn. It's not every day we can just leave and go see a movie. Bonus points for the tickets being half off because it was Tuesday? I don't know but I wont complain.

The next morning we got to run away again and go to the temple! And it was snowing so much when we got out.
 We came home to two girls in dress ups.
 And a rascally squirrel who keeps taking the birds' food
 We did some snowy day activities like coloring...
And playing in the snow!
 The snow was perfect for a snow man
But Hazel wasn't so sure about that...
But June was proud of "Snow Bells." Thanks to the freezing cold weather, he stayed there all week.

The next day was Thanksgiving! My sister hosted it at her house.
Off to a good start being cousins
  I find that Thanksgiving is a pretty boring holiday for little kids. We sit around playing adult games and eating adult food. How is that suppose to measure up to Christmas? So in anticipation of this I really built up the idea of the layered turkey jello that my mom makes every year, knowing that Jello is a thing to celebrate in June's mind. And I guess I did too good of a job because she wouldn't stop talking about it.  June came home from preschool earlier that week and she had made a paper turkey and apparently she was asked what she was thankful for and the teacher had written those things on four separate paper feathers. And the winners were: Playing with her sister, Sister, Juice, and … Turkey Jello. I laughed.  This jello won out on her thankful feathers over her own parents.She also helped my mom make it the day before and she was pretty proud of it, and guess what? That's ALL she ate the whole day!
Watching a video of the Matterhorn ride at Disneyland so June can see "her monster."
  Erin and my mom got the girls these cute crafted crepe paper balls that were decorated like turkeys. Once they started unraveling it there were toys that kept appearing as each layer went away. So that was fun, and something we should make a tradition to make Thanksgiving more fun. :)
 What it looks like if a punching balloon is coming for you.
Cats!
 A pie per person!
  I have the cutest niece!
Singing songs
 And playing games. It should be noted that I don't normally like to play many games, don't have the attention span for it. ;) But I played so many over the week to make Buck happy. But then I won a couple times and that made me happy. One day we were playing the game of Life and I was in last place. But at the end I had a chance to bet it all on a number to potentially win the whole game and so I did and I chose the lucky number 7 and... I totally won! It was hilarious! Everyone yelled and threw their hands in the air in unbelief. Maybe playing games isn't so bad after all....

Lounging the day after the feast
 Simple days and bubble baths.
 
 
We've had our cat, Chewy, since I was in 7th grade (!) and he's on his last leg of life and can't fight June carrying him around.

Grumpy Hazel
 I showed June the secret doll room hiding under the stairs. She wouldn't leave for the rest of the week.

Seeing "The Good Dinosaur" all together. Hazel was mostly just happy about the Icee.  And okay, I liked the movie! People are super critical and unhappy about everything in life but i liked it. I will admit that the story didn't live up to Pixar expectations but it was still good.

Then everyone went home and they let Buck and I stay and go shopping around “the village” for a little bit. It's a fancy outdoor shopping mall with a big Christmas tree and a quaint little ice skating rink, outdoor fires, the flames rising from beds of crystals and marbles. It was fun to just window shop and day dream of spending money. How spoiled were we to have so many little dates this week?

 Then spoiled with cupcakes at home! It's a tough life.

The next day we all got into the hot tub. We didn't make it too hot for the girls so we played in it like we were in a mountainous hot springs, the steam dancing on top of the water. Buck kept going to the pool and breaking off chunks of ice and then bringing them back to the hot tub at June's command. We were in there for quite a while playing. After we got out we all had homemade fudge and cider that my mom had brewing with oranges, cinnamon sticks, and cloves. Does life get better than this?

  Then we all got ready and went downtown to the Festival of Trees! It's a big festival where companies and groups decorate a tree to be on display and potentially win the contest of best tree. There were probably 100 trees there. And wreathes and a room with a huge train display. It was SUPER crowded but it was fun to be there.


 
  There ended up being some ballerinas that performed on the stage this day and that is all June wanted to do was to watch them. She was completely entranced, trying to mimic their pointed toes and arching arms as she watched, dreaming of herself being up there in a tutu one day. Guess it's time to sign her up for dance again!




  As we left the festival there was a tree lighting happening right outside with the big city tree. So we got some free candles and held them, letting the little lights illuminate our faces



After all of that we went out to eat at a buffet restaurant. Hazel kept howling the whole time like a little wolf, her mouth perfectly forming the “AHHH-OOOO” and June got a stomach ache but suddenly it was gone and she announced that she just needed to toot. Good times at the buffet.


And then it was home in time to watch some Dr. Who. ;)

The next day was Sunday and we had to go home. :( We got stuck on the highway for a long while and the cars were not even moving. So Hazel got to get out for a little bit.

It was truly a perfect and simple week. We were in bed until 10:00 am most mornings! I read and finished a real book! We got to go to movies, watch shows, play games,  eat good food, be with family. There's something satisfying for me to end good weeks because now it's back in the past and it's perfect and nothing can ruin it. It can stay in my memories forever, a week to think on during harder times. To sip slowly through this cold winter.
Thank you Boise! Thanksgiving! Family!

3 comments:

4boyzmdmom said...

Sounds so awesome!! I love all the photos with the candles lighting your faces.

Oh, and I love those turkey plates! I have a thing for dishes and would own a lot if only...I had a place to put them! A butler's pantry is definitely in the blueprint for my dream house! :)

Carrie Lynn said...

What a lovely time! I don't know why my favorite pic was of grumpy Hazel. Also Ginny is killing me in all of these. How adorable is she?!
So happy you had a relaxing holiday!

Max and Rebecca said...

Can your parents adopt me? I always get so jealous of your going home to Boise posts! haha! I love your family!