This past week we, along with some friends, went to this free museum in the small
town of Springville Utah. It's in this old historic building that is
really cool. They have four exhibits there and they are all free! I
want to go back now (without kids) and see them all.
We went to the one about a classic 1950's road trip across america,
but it was focused on the Utah part of the drive. There were old and
new paintings and I really enjoyed it, from what I got to see
anyways.
Hazel, however, was not quite as enchanted by it all.
I want
them to learn to like art though, so I taught June that
paintings are cool because you can make up stories for what you see
or pretend that you're in the painting and think about how that makes
you feel.
So
there was this large painting of a lady in a flowy peach dress and I
asked June to make a story for the woman and she instantly said, “She
was riding a horse but she fell and died!” and then wandered off.
Umm, okay? Haha
But
hey, you've got to start somewhere right? There was also a little
paper for a scavenger hunt of a few paintings. June seemed to think
that was fun to search for.
Then
we went to the lower level where there were more kid friendly things
to see and do. There were things to color, a pretend fire pit to play
around, some glasses and scarfs to dress up with, and a little
pretend 1950's diner with play food, menus, and a table juke box.
Needless to say the kids enjoyed that part a lot more. Erin and I couldn't even help ourselves by dressing up and taking photos. Ha
I'm glad we got out and had a new little adventure! And I'll definitely be going back for a date night sometime soon!
























3 comments:
How do you find these things?!?! That looks so neat. I laughed pretty hard at June's story! And I love June and Hazel in the 50s glasses!
You are totally a rad 50s chick. Loved the picture of you in front of the trailer. Also the big glasses and scarf for June in front of the trailer were adorable and the big glasses on you and Hazel are so cute.
June in the scarf and glasses...love that one!! I went to this museum once...a long time ago. They didn't have any of those exhibits then (I would love to go to that 1950s play diner!) but they did have a really cool exhibit of old quilts. Pretty great!
Post a Comment