It's that time again! Our annual Celebrate a country day. It's been such a fun little holiday that I invented, if I do say so myself. This year was our fifth time celebrating.
For the festivities this time we did the country of Oman. (by Yemen, UAE and below Saudi Arabia)
Once when I was a girl I watched a travel show about Oman and since then I've wanted to go there. So for now I had to bring it into my home.
To do this I attempted to make a poster like I was in fourth grade. I was feeling all creative and tried gluing sand on it like a desert... We also tried making "Oman" out of Arabic looking characters. It turned out okay for the event but... I'm glad we weren't getting graded on it. ;)
Here are the photos we had displayed. I most definitely did not take them and I give credit to... google search...
And anyway...
For dinner we ate this dish of wheat berries cooked with chicken for three hours. Then you pool a thing of butter, cardamon, dates, and cinnamon on top. It was suppose to be more mashed up and paste like but oh well, it was good and everyone really like it. Then we had apples, bananas, and raisins and then some hummus and flat bread.
For dessert we had dates and halwa. Halwa is sugar and
clarified butter mixed with cardamon powder and chopped nuts and
dates and a weird flour called semolina, garnished with golden
raisins. Wow I'm really good at retelling a recipe... whatever. They looked legit! And tasted good too!
And thanks to my scarf collection, a lot of the women who attended were able to look more authentic.
It was a great night! We had a brief language and history lesson as well. And then everyone wanted to discuss next year's party and what country we should do. Maybe I need to do this more than once a year- there are a lot of cultures to cover!
But until next time... get your votes in! :)
Past Years:
Italy














4 comments:
You guys look great! I am sad we missed it. I have many a scarves I could have chosen from as well :) here did you get the headpieces?
I'm pretty sure you are the coolest person I know and we miss these amazing traditions. This is the year you're coming to Oregon right? Right? I mean Buck still hasn't been here!
This is such a fun idea to brighten up boring January! I bought some semolina flour once because that's the kind of flour used to make pasta and I wanted to try homemade noodles. But I haven't actually tried it yet! That's the difference between you and me...I get good ideas too, but you actually carry them out!!
Chris and I use to do Foreign Food Friday, and it was so much fun! Love this idea to "Celebrate a Country." I may have to use this idea- and give you total credit, of course! ;)
Post a Comment