Friday, January 9, 2015

Party Like it's 1999

Happy New Years! Oh what? It's already been a week? It's still soon enough after the fact though right? Nah, I'm not too far behind and anyway, I need to tell you all something important before I start things off:
June is NOT Spoiled.
Okay so maybe just a little bit. But let it be known that this Mercedes came from the hands of her Aunt Jade and Uncle Ben. As her parents, we are innocent by standers. But needless to say, June had a great December 31st when she received this gift.

After a Drivers Ed course with June, we spent the day light hours playing games like any normal family. Abe even tried to join in.

And then once it was dark we went on to do our New Years Eve traditions. It's odd, maybe, but I feel like our new years traditions are more solid than our Christmas ones. There's just so much pressure for Christmas and it's made me too stressed to really get it right for our family just yet. But the new years festivities just kind of happened and somehow stuck for a few years now and I'm pretty sure they will for a long time. 
First we go to the lake and set off some large fireworks because... we can.
And then we set off some sky lanterns. I like to think of one for the old year and one for the new year. It's the coldest tradition I have ever made but it's a peaceful one. I hope we can always come to a spot this like one where we are surrounded by dark mountains and black lake water that is frozen over. And weird, nobody else is ever there so it's perfect. ;)
 June really enjoyed it this year. We kept Hazel in the car with someone... Not sure she would appreciate it yet with all that cold. 

Then we came back home and had chocolate fondue. And took some photos, you know me.
haha oh June...
 I had fun with some mild yet funky decorations such as these lights and my old hot pink lava lamp. I really spiced things up this year and also added a rainbow dripping candle.

We let the girls have their fun and then... we put them to bed on time. Staying up late for them is also not worth it at this point. 
And once it was just the adults the games came out again. Buck was in heaven. I used to think that I hated games but this year I learned that I like a lot of them but I am really turned off by long strategic games like Ticket to Ride and Settlers of Catan. Sorry. Everyone was nice though and played the fun games first so that I would participate. Picky girl gets her way! ;)
 We played until it was time to count down and watch the ball drop in NYC

 Who needs alcohol? We were drunk off pure sleep deprivation at this point. This is evident in these photos. And yes, I'm wearing footie sweatshirt pajamas because I'm a party animal like that.
 And then they busted out the painful long games and I said "So long!" and went to bed.

The morning after candle. Groovy.
 We may not be able to stay out late at parties but I think we have a pretty good time here in our little corner of the world.  Yay for 2015!

4 comments:

Max and Rebecca said...

You guys do know how to party! And I have the EXACT same opinion on games :)

Adrian said...

Looks like a blast. Although I had no idea you were anti boardgames. Good to know. We are the total opposite and LOVE them :) I am sure you have seen our collection.

Erinlizabeth said...

Hazel's silly faces crack me up!!!

4boyzmdmom said...

I love playing games but I also don't enjoy long strategic ones.