Sunday, January 4, 2015

Sage Brush Bathroom

On December 18th we made the journey up to Rexburg Idaho for Buck's sister, Jade's, graduation from college. This is where I also went to college so its always fun to visit again.... except in winter. The winters are horrendous there and the main reason I couldn't wait to leave. I actually graduated on the exact same day as she did, only it has now been five years for me! Crazy. But now I'm just getting ahead of myself. 

The point is we drove there in the night so that the girls would sleep the whole time. It worked. But then they were awake from 1 am till 2 am once we got to the hotel. You win some, you lose some. But we all slept in and the morning was relaxed.

We got to Rexburg late morning and helped Jade load her stuff up and then we all went bowling. Instead of going to the new hip place we went to the local joint that probably opened in the 1970's. And sure enough we were the only people there! It was good. June had fun. I almost got two strikes in a row. (That one stupid pin that stayed up!) we ate corn dogs and burgers and had a good time.

It started snowing once it was time to be outside (of course. freaking rexburg) and we had to trek to the conference center on campus for the commencement ceremony. But we made it. The girls did pretty good considering June never had a nap and Hazel had like a total of an hour sleep time.
 Then it was a blizzard outside. We piled into the car and driving up that hill in that dark storm brought back so many cold memories! Yuck! But we made it to the other building. (After commencement they separate into departments for the actual walking to get their diploma part.) It was at 8:00 pm! Jerks. So many babies and toddlers were losing their minds and running like savages through the halls. At one point Buck was walking with Hazel and she turned the lights on in the whole chapel haha! Needless to say I stayed out in the hall the whole time. It was chaos. 

When it was all over it was fun though because Jade graduated with the same degree as I did (Sociology) so I got to go see all of my old professors and they still remembered me even though it's been five years! 

On the drive home it didn't take long for both girls to pass out. It was 10:00 after all. And they both transferred into their beds at the hotel with no problem this time. Wonderful. 
June ran up and walked with Jade to help her get her diploma. haha
The night went well and we all got to sleep in. We ate breakfast in the hotel.  We sat around with Buck's family in the fancy lobby for a while. Then we packed up and got ready to go.
 
It was snowing, the gross grey wet kind of snow. The first part of the drive was okay. Hazel slept and June was calm. But Hazel didn't sleep long and once she woke up I had to feed her treats to keep her satisfied. So I nearly sat on bucks lap while he drove and reached back and fed Hazel cheese and blueberries. June ate strawberries and cheese and had milk. So I felt accomplished.

  We stopped once at the gas station and to take june potty. And I nursed Hazel. Then we continued on. 
Then ten minutes later june said she needed to go potty so we stopped in the middle of nowhere and got her potty out and set it down amid the sage brush and had her go there. 

Then we continued on again. Hazel needed a nap but was getting mad more than anything and right then the traffic stopped. We were in the middle of nowhere Idaho and the cars were stopped on the highway for as far as the eye could see. Hazel was screaming and since we were hardly moving I decided to get her out and hold her till we passed the accident that was causing the hold up. So I'm holding her and then.... June says she needs to go potty.


Oy. So I give Hazel to buck and he holds her as he slowly drives 2 MPH and I do some acrobatic moves climbing over the packed car to retrieve June's potty. I then unbuckle June, put the toilet at my feet and have her go right then and there because she was insisting she couldn't hold it. Right as this was happening we of course pass the accident so the cars all speed up!  But at least then we could pull off the side of the road. There I dump the pee out, buckle both girls back in and we were off on our merry way! Goodness!


But we made it to Boise around 4:00 p.m. We were alive and happy enough. So what more could we ask for? It was a good but quick trip to Rexburg. I have so many memories connected there so it's a nostalgic time for me. Above all we are excited for Jade and what the future will bring! She has now moved down to Utah and is just 15 minutes from us! This is going to be the best year yet.

4 comments:

Max and Rebecca said...

Congratulations to Jade!
I like that you titled this post "Sage Brush Bathroom" when in reality it was mostly about Jade's graduation.
I was laughing about June's potty adventures.
Are you going to Rexburg again anytime soon? We are thinking of going in the spring to take Max's brother to check out the school.

Adrian said...

That was so smart to bring June's little potty! I would never have thought to bring one. It looks like it saved you all from a terrible fate :)

Tanya Hanamaikai said...

Someday you're going to seriously wonder how you survived that trip! That potty ha ha ha

4boyzmdmom said...

Wow, that brought back a lot of memories of trips when my boys were little / babies! It's a lot easier for boys to "go" by the side of the road than girls though. I've always thought that wasn't fair! :) And congratulations to Jade!!