When June woke up we came into her room with ten balloons. She was so excited about that. I mean, it was the most festive diaper change of her life, and what better companions to watch a birthday morning cartoon with than balloons?
Then she got the traditional birthday morning coffee cake. This tradition comes from Buck's family.
After all that and June got to play with her new doll house she proclaimed "Happy Jue!" (because who needs an "N" in your name anyways?"
We got ready and then took her to ride a pony because her party was farm themed, so we decided to take her to a farm, right?
She's a natural and loved it.
After that we got the coveted ice cream cone. Or, an "I dee doe" as June (Jue) for some bizarre reason calls it.
She took a nice long nap and we got her party ready. As I mentioned, I chose to do a girly farm theme. I'm not sure why, other than she loves animals. I kept her party simple. In the end I liked the ideas I had and used but I felt like I kind of just threw things on the only table we had and called it good. But, hey, she's two, it was allll about the frosting, not the presentation, right?
The cake was nothing fancy but I feel that my spray painted farm animals paraded across it nicely.
We had milk. Because June loves it.
And mini cupcakes that I put in "vintage" egg crates.
And there was ice cream. In a cup or cone.
And cute wooden utensils and heart straws.
I got the non-sticky and ever so cute kind of suckers and some mini (spray painted) animals for party favors.
Opening presents was a savage moment. We were like "Hey JUNE! There are a bunch of new toys in these bags and stufffffff.... come SEEEE!! COME ON!!" and she was like "NOOOOOO!!! no no no no no no no no! SANDBOX."
But June was excited for a sucker she got on a present (thanks mom) and didn't even try to blow out her candles. Good thing about three other kids did it for her. (hahahaha)
We were so grateful that everyone came who was invited. The love and suppose means the world to us and to June. It was a HOT day and the kids were running rampant while all the adults sat quietly in shaded spots, trying not to die of heat. I probably should have had some music playing or something...
But I'd like to think it was fun enough. We got to be together. I had some farm coloring books out and the kids liked that. Some kids went on the swings. They all piled into her play house. And they threw sand in their hair while playing in June's new birthday sand box.
I'm a mean mom. Buck was on his way to pick June up and comfort her and I said "WAIT!" I need to get a picture.
I mean hey, it's her birthday and she'll cry if she wants to.
And anyway, it was a good day. June was thoroughly spoiled.
She even got a bomb sunset.
After everyone left we started a new tradition.
We
went to the baseball field near our house. I wanted to start
this last year but forgot! I want to set off sky lanterns for how ever many
years old our kids are that birthday. With each lantern each
year I want it to be a thing of gratitude from the year just lived. So for each
lantern we will name that many number of things grateful for from that
year. I hope this tradition can work and live through the years! Granted, our kids will get old and soon that will be a lot of sky lanterns so we’ll have to
think of a year that the lanterns will stop. I was thinking 18 years old would be the last year... but is that still too many lanterns?
Anyway, we went with two lanterns and only ended up setting
off one because it was windy and we got nervous. But the sky was perfectly colored as we set June's gratitude into the air. Since she is so little I got to decide what blessing the lantern would stand for: that June got to see two oceans again this year. :)



























7 comments:
The joy that our children have in their lives sure brings a lot of joy to a parent and to a grandparent. I am glad you are willing to document her life and to share it with us through your eyes.
What a wonderful party! It looked amazing with absolutely no indications of "just being thrown together" You are an excellent hostess! Happy Birthday June!
Happy day indeed! I love that it was a fairly simple party, but still looked awesome. Is that Elliott standing behind her in the sandbox? Whoever it is has a nice "get a grip" face on. Ha. SHE'S SO OLD! P.S. I still think she looks like me.
Dear June,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Jaden wants to come play with you and is jealous you have a blue lollipop. He thinks your pony ride looked like fun, but didn't really want to go on one of his own. We're glad you had a fun birthday! Your mom is pretty much the coolest ever.
Love,
Audrey and Jaden
I have said this before, but you are such a fun mom. June is one lucky little girl!
luckiest little girl in the world.
I love how she didn't want to open presents, just play in the sandbox! I was just remembering Scott's second birthday on Friday because we were at Hogle Zoo, and that's where we took him for his 2nd birthday. He saw the elephants from a distance and said "Wanna see that Dumbo!" And now he's on a mission! Time flies--you have got the "enjoy it while it lasts" part down pat, though!
Post a Comment