I'm a pretty big fan of this author's other two books, The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, so I was thrilled to hear of his new book. Buck surprised me and pre-ordered a copy so when it came out, I had it that week. And in hardback!
This book was unlike any other I've read. It's hard to say anything without giving away the sensations of reading it. But I've never read anything where there are so many stories and characters that you learn about and how they connect and then... don't connect. In his other two books he tells some multiple stories, but nothing like this. I really never knew what to expect each time I turned the page. And by the end of the book I was so bewildered at how he tied things and left things.
For this book, my book mark was the flap from the hard back. I decided on this because how often do I own a hardback book? Rarely. So it seemed significant.
In the end, the story was captivating and he told it in an interesting way, but it wasn't my favorite of his three. Maybe it seems strange, but for me this book was a little too realistic. I think a lot of us read books to see miracles that we don't normally see, to take a break from reality, not to be completely engulfed in it. Also, he told all these different stories almost nonchalantly, and I felt that the consequences of certain actions were too subtle or non existent. Then again, the way I think about right and wrong are becoming completely opposite from the world. . .
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed reading this book and fell in love with certain characters. It made me think about life and wonder and ponder. So that makes it a success. :)
There was a quote at the beginning of the book and I love it the most out of the whole thing.
Here are the other two posts about my WINTER BOOK and my SPRING BOOK.



1 comment:
That is a great quote! Love you
Post a Comment