Sunday, February 17, 2013

Reading Resoultion- Winter Book

One of my New Year's resolutions is to read at least one book a season this year. And I need to hold myself accountable to someone. For my winter book I decided to read my grandma Pew's favorite book. And you guys, this lady has read probably hundreds of books- good books. So to say that this is her favorite is saying a lot. It's so good, in fact, that once it went out of publication, my grandma (I don't know how old she was at the time)  got a copy from the library and typed it up, word for word, so that she could have her own copy! These suckers go for a pretty penny now. ($600 for a new copy!!!) Thankfully her kids got her a real copy one year as a gift. (I'm assuming a used and less expensive one...) And that's the copy I read.



I also decided to have a random bookmark for each book I read. This is what I found on the shelf. A feather. It's weird but it adds to my experience.



So I finished the book the other night.
Oh my. Heck.

First of all, the writing was amazing. It flowed and sang and painted- truly painted. It was beautiful and lyrical. But not too poetic. I don't know how people can write like that. It blows me away- so far, far away.

But then this book ! ! ! !  It had such an unexpected turn! I about died! It was so intense that I had to stop reading and I felt in shock. I got so emotional. Buck came home and I kept trying to talk to him about it but I couldn't bring myself to. I was too involved. Finally I started getting the words out and I began to SOB. I was crying so hard! So Buck sent me to the bedroom to have some time alone. (haha) I laid on the floor and I just cried and cried! haha! And no, it's not even my time of the month, I was honestly just that affected by this book.

Mind you- this isn't the first book I've cried during, about, or because of. I really get into what I'm reading. And I know that I'm not the only invested and teary eyed reader out there. But every emotional book I read is such a different experience. And this one hit me HARD. I was trying to talk to my grandma about it yesterday and I still felt too much to say anything.

It's kind of funny too- it took me three weeks to read 100 pages and then one day (Friday) to read well over 100.  It's not that I wasn't into the book- I loved it from the first sentence. But it was hard to start back the habit of reading a book, of making that a priority. My time is all full, everyday- I manage to have something to clean if nothing else to do. So I had to plan it out and want it. And then yesterday that part of me that I was trying to find emerged and I couldn't put the book down. June watched more shows than normal and I gave her a tub of frozen limeade to shave away at with a spoon (she's obsessed with this) and I never made dinner, I was an emotional wreck, and a few important tasks for the day went undone. So maybe it's best if I don't let my mind go wander across the pages and skies of ink everyday. But I don't feel bad at all doing it some days. :)

So my favorite types of books are historical fiction. (although I'm open to all kinds) For my Spring book I'm looking for something happy. Any suggestions? (and I already got my Summer book pre-ordered... yesss)

7 comments:

Tanya Hanamaikai said...

Too true about checking out when you get lost in a book...but then I start using that as an excuse to spend more time in it... "I've got to read it all now! If I let it drag on I'll lose more days!" ;) That's sound logic, right?

Erinlizabeth said...

You never told me what you thought of the end!!!

Erinlizabeth said...

You never told me what you thought of the end!!!

Lillybet said...

Now you have me curious. I guess I need to find a copy somewhere to read.

Anonymous said...

Children of the promise is my favorite historical fiction series. My latest favorite is an actual true story called Unbroken - by laura hildenbrand or something. WWII POW story that is crazy unbelievable, so so so awesome. I hope you read it if you haven't already. -Dayna

mtngirlsabes said...

I just read Moon Over Manifest. It is technically a children's book but I loved it! It is a historical fiction book about the town of Manifest. I think that you will LOVE it. It is an easy read (obviously since it's a children's book) but very engaging.

4boyzmdmom said...

Well, now you know why Grandma loves it so much! I had the same reaction to the book...such beautiful writing! And I sobbed over it too. I've read it more than once and every time I read it I find something else about it that strikes me, depending on where I'm at in life. The last time I was SO impressed with how the dad taught his son what it is to be a good man...probably because I have all boys. The other thing I think about it is...how can someone write so beautifully AND be able to draw like that?! So unfair to have that much talent in one person! (But I think that about you, too.) I tracked down a copy of the book for "only" $79 and bought it a few years ago so I have my own copy too. :) Historical fiction is also my favorite genre. I love Children of the Promise series (I think Grandma has them all). Also I really like a series called the Williamsburg series by Elswyth Thane...ask Grandma; she knows about them too. They are also a little hard to find, though. A lot of the Newberry winners are historical fiction and good (Moon Over Manifest is a Newberry I believe). My absolute favorite is The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare. She also wrote The Witch of Blackbird Pond which is another good one. Good luck!