Sunday, November 23, 2025

I'm 40!


A new decade! And of course it has me pondering life. I also discovered that I had Buck take some photos of me when I turned 30 so I decided to keep the decade trend going and have some taken once again. 











40 years old

30 years old


So what even happened these past ten years?! It's been a wild blur! 

In a decade I: 

Birthed two more kids

Started my non profit, Your Light International, and kept it afloat
Welcomed Winta and Haben into our family! 
And now I have grandkids!
Traveled back to Armenia. And for an incredible photo workshop

I also traveled to:
Philippines, Ethiopia, Netherlands, Italy, London, Mexico, Hawaii, Myrtle Beach, Lake Tahoe, Lake Powell, Texas, Oregon, Canada, Disneyland twice, National parks (death valley, Zion, Bryce, Glacier, Yellowstone, Canyonlands, Arches,) went camping, and on a Disney cruise, and a friend cruise

We moved homes
We bought a boat. Twice. And sold the boats.

I did lots of photography
I became a hiker and have hiked over 100 miles in the past couple years
I joined The Larks singing group!
I headed up lots of kid's service projects
I saw a total Solar eclipse!
 And meteors
 And some faint red northern lights
I had a uterus ablation and it was the best thing I ever did! 
I finally cut my long hair!
I was a Keynote Speaker at a fancy fundraiser gala
I officiated a wedding! In Italy! 
And 3 of my kids got baptized! 

I also went skiing for the first time in my life
And rode in a couple limosines
I dyed my hair pink and purple
Never missed a month going to the temple (except for covid times)
I got too many pets! 
I got in a crash in a hot air balloon
I finally found four leaf clovers
I learned how to make stained glass
I saved birds
I went to rodeos,
carnivals,
hot springs,
ice skated on lakes,
had tea parties,
and went to art museums 
I went to SO many plays
I got to see a mini migration of Monarch butterflies
I was on the Price is Right

I guess a lot can happen in ten years! 


And I got to thinking some more and decided to write down some things I've learned so far in life:

Compassion for others and self is essential in all things. 

You can feel peace even when you’re not happy 

And you can feel joy even when life is not fun

You can't force growth. Pulling on a plant doesn’t help it grow but hurts, breaks and up roots it. What you can do is nourish it, give it sunlight and water and patience. Pull the weeds.

Don’t pridefully judge others. You will always be wrong.

People are layered and good and bad 

Faith is not certainty 

Gratitude heals and is full of light 

Most everything in life is a privilege. Laundry, vacuuming. Grief. 

If I’m feeling grumpy or irritable, I can always trace it back to something I was feeling entitled to that I am not getting. It helps me laugh at myself a bit and remember that nobody gets to have perfect days. 

Hardships are mini atonements if we allow them to be.

They can connect us all together.

Trials bring us closer to god, just like the wind against me on the swing. 

Forgiveness is a key that unlocks the prison of pain. 

Forgiveness is so often an exercise is giving to someone what they should have given to you. 

Assume the best of others. 

Sometimes we get hurt in relationships but the reward of being vulnerable is greater than the risk. That doesn't mean you should be reckless. Still be thoughtful in how you use your vulnerability and with whom.

Meet people where they are at. Don’t force others to be what you want them to be.  

Show up. 

Let people feel and think what they want.

No such thing as balance, mostly just sacrifice. 

Parenting is not an explosion to build a canyon. It is more often like water over rocks, steady, consistent, over more time than you could ever imagine- even when it seems there is no progress- a beautiful canyon is being carved. 

Depressed Anna doesn’t get to make life changing decisions. She does get to make small step ones. 

Worry is an energy suck. 

Depression is a thief 

Time is a gift, not a thief. 

Distractions are the thieves 

It’s not about the journey or the destination, but about the company.

The relationships in this life are EVERYTHING. 

The deeper your pain carves into you, the greater the space you have to be filled back in with joy. 

Impermanence. Enjoy what you have now, most everything will one day break or be gone. 

There’s no bad weather, just bad clothing 

Don’t take everything too seriously. Laughter is healing. 

You find in life what you’re looking for 

Empathy is not just about feeling others pains, but truly casting aside comparisons and jealousy and feeling their joy with them also

“What we’re becoming is more important than what we are doing” 

God is everywhere 

----------------------------------------------------------------------


Of course there are more things and maybe I'll come back and add a few if I think of them. But these are all things I think about a lot and have tried to live as well. 

There's also a whole slew of lessons about body positivity and choosing the path of self love instead of trying to change my body to meet the standards of society. But wow that would take a whole essay to write about. 

I don't even know what I am supposed to want out of the next ten years. But I know I want to focus more on serving others and growing closer to Jesus. I want to focus on being active and healthy. I want to keep my priorities straight and be the best mom and wife and Anna I can be. 


So, yeah! We'll see where life takes me! Cheers to a new decade and the privilege of growing old! 

No comments: