Thursday, November 10, 2022

London: Hever Castle

 So. Buck and I got to go to London! An old friend of mine was getting married there (she's lived there now for several years) and we were invited so we made a little getaway out of it. Buck and I really haven't ever gone away like this since our honeymoon to Kauai. Yes we've traveled during our marriage but it's always been with our kids and/or family or friends. Yes, we've had some getaways, two nights at most, for our anniversaries and stuff but those have all been in Utah. So going to another country for a week together felt new and exciting! 

Our first day there we rented a car- yes Buck felt brave enough to drive on the other side of the road. I however, did not, so I instead sat in the wrong-side-passenger seat and freaked out the whole time because I'm emotionally stable like that. I'm happy to report that we didn't crash the whole week! And renting a car really was so great for us since we stayed outside the city and had a variety of places to go. The days we went into London, we didn't drive however, we took the train and tube. We're not THAT crazy, after all. ;)


 That was a long intro and a lot to say about our rental car. So anyway. Our first day we were to stay the night at Hever Castle, but first we had to find our way there. We stopped in some small town and got food at a legit pub.



We found out way to the castle and checked in and tried really hard not take naps, so as to acclimate to the new time.


To stay awake we kept moving! We toured the castle first and then we walked and walked all around the amazing gardens and grounds of the castle! For those who don't know, this castle is the one that Anne Boleyn grew up in for several years. (she was the second wife of King Henry and was beheaded, as was popular for those times.....) (So clearly this castle is haunted, right?) 
It was the perfect time! It was lovely and not too cold. Eventually the crowds died off and felt like we had the place to ourselves! It was dreamy!
This was probably my favorite spot! It was like spring, summer, and fall all merged together!

So the castle is in the middle of nowhere and there is only and old church and pub outside the castle grounds. It's too close to justify driving so we walked there to go eat. It was SO DARK that night with the clouds and of course there aren't lights around. While walking we found a small graveyard with two headstones and a plaque that Buck wanted to go read. I had no idea until that very moment that I apparently have a deep fear of the dark and of ghosts. 😂 I refused to go near or let Buck leave me in the dark to go closer. Like I panicked. haha Can you blame me?! 

The pub was fun though- authentic and dimly lit and the food was so good!

 
We slept well that night and woke up to a wonderful breakfast at the inn! My only regret about the whole thing is that we didn't book a couple more nights there. It was so wonderful!

It was the perfect start to the week! More posts to come. :)

2 comments:

4boyzmdmom said...

Oh wow, that castle (and the grounds) are so amazing!! I think if I go to England I need to go in the autumn. That spot with the flowers was incredible...I can see why it was your favorite place!

Adrian said...

How fun and beautiful! Why don't any of my friends live in Europe?!