Friday, November 27, 2020

Happy Thanksgiving!

Despite it being 2020, it was a good Thanksgiving! So something I wanted to try was to add on a new tradition. I find Thanksgiving to be great and all but.... sometimes a bit boring. 😆 And I love culture and history so much that I decided to have a Pilgrim dinner before the actual Thanksgiving because I have found that people still want to keep the old traditions, which is fine, but no harm in adding on something new too, right? Right. So a Pilgrim dinner is what we did! I kept it simple, you know, for ME. Haha. I had dipped our leaves in beeswax that we gathered this fall and used those and Buck made me some rustic candle holders. The food was what was most important though, right? I wanted to eat some of what they most likely ate at the first Thanksgiving.

 
I wasn't able to find any deer meat this year but I did roast a duck! And I was proud of how good it turned out!
 
We had some grains (homemade bread) and berries and goat cheese.
 
A variety of nuts and dried fruits.
 
Creamed corn and roasted veggies. And cranberry sauce- my first time making that from scratch!
 
Crab legs and shrimp. And then corn cookies and popped corn- we even had blue, purple and red corn kernals that we popped on the stove!
 
And we wore our napkins on our sholders because apparently that's what they did. 
It was a lot of fun and I was really happy with how it all turned out and the kids said that they want to do this every year. Success! Maybe next year we can add on deer meat, eels, and hard tack. ;) 
 
 
Then a couple days later it was real Thanksgiving! We were fortunate to be able to safety spend the day with Buck's family after a couple weeks of a more strict quarantine. (gotta love 2020, right?) The day we perfect and easy going. Lots of good food, some games, a good kids' table, a movie, and hanging out. The kids also got to do a fun craft decorating snowflakes and cookies!
 
I had these shirts made for the occasion. haha

There was the treachery of the day when I was bet $50 to that I couldn't eat a big bite of butter so I did it and got the $50 but then Buck dared his brother back and said he'd give him the $50 back if he also took a bite of butter so of course Ben did it. I was so mad at Buck! All my hard earned cash for NOTHING. But lucky for him, he's been forgiven now.
 
Matching outfits from Nana!

Family time is always the best and this year we are more thankful for it than ever before! Also, I'm thankful that Buck was around this year and not in the hosptial like he was two years ago! So much to be thankful for. 💛


3 comments:

Lillybet said...

Pilgrim dinner looks amazing. I thought those turkeys with the crayons in them were adorable and I loved the Thanksgiving crowns that the kids got to decorate with the crayons. Looks like you had a great time. Buck’s family always loves doing the matching clothes thing. Such a fun idea. Wish we had thought of it. I don’t think we’ve ever really done it except when we went to Disney. This year we do have much to be thankful for even with all of the craziness with the pandemic and earthquakes and all of that.

Adrian said...

I love the idea of a pilgrim dinner. All of that food looks delicious! Also those shirts! Ha ha! And the kids in their matching outfits, super cute!

Adrian said...

Oh also, the butter! I would have been ticked about the $50 too! Ha ha ha!