Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Celebrate a Country Day- Switzerland

It's that time of year again! Our annual Celebrate a Country holiday, which we celebrate every January. Picking which country to celebrate each year is something that I feel in my gut and this year, for whatever reason, my gut chose Switzerland. (or was it because my gut wanted cheese and chocolate...?) 

Buck and I got in a real marital fight over his refusal to wear real lederhosen. My display table was way too big and I didn't have enough time or energy to make it look full and presentable. This year we also tried something new- we only invited adults and told them to leave the kids with a sitter.  Over all this was the best idea ever, nobody would have enjoyed themselves with a million kids crying all around us. But this also meant that our kids went next door to their sitter and I did feel bad about not having them there- this is, after all, our family holiday. So next year I'll fix that. But I will say that our kids aren't too sad about all the left over chocolate and the stuffed mountain goat toy, so everyone wins. 

We've known so many people through our years of marriage, it's hard to know who to invite without it turning into a massive packed party. So this year we focused on our neighbors, the ones who live closest to us (since we could also get crazy inviting the whole neighborhood, I had to draw the line somewhere!) And as you can tell, this was super hard for me because I don't want anyone to feel bad or left out but I also can't feed 150 people. 

Okay, thanks for letting me get all of that out of the way. ;)

The celebration turned out great! Everyone brought a dish to share. We had lots of cheese, fondue, raclette, braided bread, rosti potatoes, museli, alpine macaroni, sausages, a swiss roll and obviously, lots of chocolate! 

Buck's shirt represents our compromise.

I found non-alcoholic wine! haha It was a big hit. ;)

This is Raclette- you melt the cheese and scrap it off onto veggies and meats.

We also watched some yodeling and then learned how and tried it out together (which was HILARIOUS) and then learned about the Alphorn and tried that out, thanks to the cheap plastic alphorns that I randomly found online.

Now, all we need to do is travel there! ;) 
Here are some of the photos I found online that I put on my poster board.




Till next year! 

Any guesses where we'll go next year? So far we've celebrated:



4 comments:

Dayna said...

Next year you should draw a line of people 100 miles or more can come to the party. Am I even 100 miles away? I think so. I'd come.

Max and Rebecca said...

Come on BUCK!!! When's your next chance to wear Lederhosen?!?!

Adrian said...

Looks like another successful party! I'm impressed that you have kept this tradition alive. Also, I really want some cheese now...

4boyzmdmom said...

Looks so fun, and I've always wanted to visit Switzerland!! I love Buck's shirt but real Lederhosen would have been even more awesome! Not that I want to get you arguing again! ;)