Sunday, May 20, 2018

This Old House- Part One

Our home sold. SOLD. Like, someone else is going to come live here, move their own furniture in and bring their own smells. I always imagined this ending poetically. That some young married couple, the wife pregnant with their first child, would come wandering in our home and know instantly that this was their new home. Just like we did.

 A young couple who would live here for several years and bring a few babies home.

They would fall in love with the big tree in the backyard and attach their own swings to its arms. They would sit under it thousands of times and look up at how the leaves and branches contrasted with the blue, clouded sky. Maybe one night they would notice little owls in it! They too would have the spring-fresh green seeds cover their picnic blanket and hair. They too would cool off in the summer shade under its village of leaves. And in the fall they'd watch as the tree dripped with honey and rained down gold.

They would dig in the dirt, curse the weeds, rake the leaves, pick the peaches, and give up on the garden. Their kids would decorate any open space of cement with thick, colorful drawings of dusty sidewalk chalk.

They would appreciate the way the winter sunrise painted their kitchen purple and orange and how the summer sun sang its last lullabies in their backyard. They would obsess over the rainbows of light squeezing through the prism front door window, dazzling the carpet. They would love the spring morning light and the way it illuminated the pink blossoming tree in the front yard.

Maybe they too would experience a deep loss of life and then plant little purple flowers that fall, to bloom every spring, to remember the life that never was.

Obviously they would know where the biggest pot holes are on their street and to avoid them at all times -except after it rains. They would love the old house on the corner and the way it gets completely buried in yellow and orange leaves every autumn. And the Halloween decorations three houses down. And the Christmas lights on the big white porch on that house by the library. They would notice that strange house that's built under ground, but it would take them a few years. They'd love the idea of baseball games going on across the street but then really be annoyed at all the cars parked on the street for it. But they would find a certain comfort in the high squeal of the swings from the park, back and forth, back and forth- A song reserved for warm days. They'd also probably notice all the long bony shadows that stretch across the street from the trees and onto their little home. And just maybe they'd cry too when another tree from the park gets cut down.

They'd be thrilled to discover a carnival around the block once every summer. And an antique car show at the park right across the street that same week! And a parade that they could walk to. Perhaps they would swear to make that diner on main street "their place" but then only go there twice.

One of their favorite perks would be their neighbor, Glade, a humble, quiet elderly man who has the largest garden in Utah and kindly shares his abundance all summer and fall. Cucumbers, zucchinis, apples, tomatoes, squash, and peppers! They'd gladly accept these gifts, as their own garden was being overcome by tall weeds. But then they'd repay him with peaches from the tree that grows strong on its own in their yard. And maybe one day they'd have a little girl who grew up a bit and would spend her summer days barging into Glade's yard as he worked on his garden, chattering on about her day and her thoughts on dolls, bees, and swimming. 

They would love this little home.

 In the living room they'd have some of their most important conversations, spend many sick days, wrestle kids on the carpet, stuff a bookcase full of books and nick-knacks, spend tiring nights binge watching shows,  cram guests on the couches and chairs around the small walls, do some yoga, sit by the fire for hours on cold winter days, and spill a lot of pop corn.

They'd spend most of their time in the kitchen- dinner around the table, cleaning dinner up off the floor, spontaneous dance parties next to the sink and stove, telling jokes, blocking cabinets and getting the way of each other, wrestling kids off the table and counter tops, burning dinner, shoeing kids away from snacks, eating ice cream, making late night cravings by the light of the stove, roasting the occasional marshmallow on the small gas flame, hang crepe paper and balloons for hundreds of birthdays and parties and mostly- they'd be doing dishes and dishes and dishes and more dishes.

In the first bedroom they'd read lots of little books, clean up toys every day, dig in the dress up box, find missing socks, put dolls to sleep, sing lullabies, say prayers, wrestle kids to bed, rock in the chair, nurse babies, pray and sing some more, change diapers, change underwear, put together puzzles, and punch the ceiling on an extra frustrating night of bed time refusals.

I couldn't say too much about the second bedroom without getting awkward and inappropriate but you know, it would be a sacred space. A sacred space that would not only be where the babies got made but where the babies would first sleep, where the babies would spend countless hours being suckled and swayed and swaddled. In this room they would also wrestle older kids off their bed, lay awake some nights thinking of things, open the windows and let in the nighttime summer breeze, and have some of the most intimate conversations with god and each other.

And lastly, the little bathroom. The TINY bathroom. There are more memories to be made in a small bathroom than you may think. But they would have countless memories made of nearly dying by getting squashed between the open door and small sink counter. They'd hide on the toilet from children, clean gallons of bath water from the floor, fight for sink time, find strange things such as sticks, bugs, and rocks taking a bath in the sink, clean marker off the toilet seat, fish toys out of the toilet water, and yet find refugee in the deep set tub on late nights while soaking in a bath swirling with lavender and salts.

They were going to try out a variety of pets in the home. An escape artist tortoise, a cricket eating dragon, a couple opinionated cats, and a dofus dog. They'd painfully learn that they are best off with the cats.

They were going to do ALL of this, and more. They were going to love this house and feel like it's a family member too. They were going to build a porch, install new floors, put in sprinklers, paint the cabinets, plant flowers, shampoo the carpets, and add a small hot tub. And then one day they were going to out grow it, sell it, and move on, and cry their faces off at the final good bye.

Right?

Maybe... Except... I actually have no idea what their memories are going to look like in this house. How could it be anything but what we've gone through?! Will it be as special? Will it mean anything? Will it be a poetic never ending cycle of repeated memories?

Yet God is a poet beyond my comprehension. All my worries and hopes and fears.... do you know what He had planned? He sent us, after making us wait for the right moment, a young couple who are actually related to the original family who built this house and then lived in it for decades, passing it down through the family until more recently it got passed off to random people and eventually lead to us. But now it's going back into this family and they are excited to keep it that way.

And I guess, no matter who moved in next, it was going to be different. Who even knows the stories these walls could tell from the decades before us, and now the stories go on and build upon each other, much like these little red bricks. This house has been so good to us, and I think we've been pretty good to it. But it's time to go.

And we move on. This time of life will never be again, we will leave these walls and never see them again. These years of bringing home babies and learning how to be a new family are ending. Somehow, we keep growing older. Time never does stop, as much as we wish it to. And before you know it, Buck and I will be an elderly couple that is looking to downsize and walks into a little home for the final chapter of our life together. Beginnings and endings, this old house has seen it all. And I'm forever grateful that it's held tight some of the most important, tender years of our lives.

As I wrote this, and cried, Hazel came over to me and asked a simple question after looking through a book, "Mom, does a butterfly go back into its cocoon?"

"No Hazel, a butterfly does not go back to its cocoon. It comes out with wings and flies away."

And so we leave this cocoon-home of ours, of the first years of our marriage, the first years making our family. I can't say that we're actually flying yet but we are different now than when we first walked in that front door. We close this chapter, we keep moving forward. 

But I think I'll keep coming back to re-read this chapter for the rest of my butterfly days.

Good bye, old home.

12 comments:

Tanya Hanamaikai said...

What did you just do?! This is the most epic writing you’ve done to date. I can’t even. I can hardly breathe. What on earth. 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Judi T said...

This is amazing. So glad you took the time to write this down, and to do it SO beautifully, because you and your family will cherish these words and the memories that come flooding back when they read them. ALWAYS!

A Woman of a Certain Age said...

Awww ... you made me want to buy your house and experience all those marvelous moments.

alyse said...

❤️❤️❤️

Dayna said...

I miss my old home. It had so much character. But I love my new one the same.

Chelsea said...

I am bawling. Left speechless and sad, nostalgic and yet hopeful for the new memories and love you will have in your new home that you have designed to create yet more epic memories and parties. Your home is yours untouched by another families. Built to be a place for refuge and more sacred, and exciting memories.

Adrian said...

I LOVED this post! It's one of my favorite posts you have written yet. I could visualize everything so clearly, probably because I have some shared memories in that space. What a tribute to your sweet home and those first years as a family. This has been a wonderful home for you, but I know your next place will be too. What an adventure lies ahead. :)

~ Matt and Erin Kern ~ said...

Wow, you have a way with words! This was so beautiful and I felt like I was right there with you. I even cried a little. Such sweet memories and now they won't be forgotten. :)

Lillybet said...

Beautifully written and of course I cried. I have lived spending so many hours in that little home with you and your family. It’s a home that has held a lot of love for many generations. It was a great yard for playing with the grandkids in. And One of the most important things I think is that even though it was small you shared it with everybody and many have experienced wonderful parties In that house and in the backyard. The ceilings in your new home will be a little big to ha g crepe paper from in same way but I know you’ll find new ways to decorate and make new memories in your new home because life just keeps evolving. These are wonderful memories and thoughts that your children will cherish in the years to come.

4boyzmdmom said...

Holy smokes, you made me cry and it isn't even my house!! I totally love that this little house is going back to the original family, though. That is so sweet!

The house we live in now is the first (and obviously only) house we ever bought. When we bought this house, Scott was in Kindergarten, Tanner was 3, Jared was ALMOST old enough to go to nursery, and Seth was 7 years in the future. It's unbelievable to me that we have been here 18 years now, that those little boys we had when we moved in are all adults (Sort of! They think they are, anyway!) and that our "baby" is almost 11 (6 years older than our oldest child was back then.) I swear, I know it sounds so cliche, but it went by so fast! I did not expect then to stay in this little house so long and believe me there have been many days that I felt so crowded that I wanted to scream (and sometimes still do) but I also love this house. I think someday we will probably move on and I look forward to that (mostly having a floor plan that works better than what we have now, and the absence of stairs as we grow old) but I also know that leaving this house will be painful when that day comes. I will not be able to put my feelings into eloquent words like you just did, but I know I will feel much the same way.

Anna Harrison said...

Chariti Moon Small
Madeline will be so sad, so many things are changing for my poor kids. Good luck!

Lesley Peay
You have had lots of workers lately! And, get this. They’re staying late! It’s looking great! Can’t wait for you to move in!

Rachelle Louw Pew
Yay!

Scott Deveraux
Awesome Read!!

Fay Minert
What a beautiful tribute to a home you love!!

Cassie Asher
This is one of the most beautiful stories I’ve ever read!!! You need to write books!!!! ❤️

Andrea Harmon Hall
Are you selling your house? Did someone already buy it?

Patti-Evan Ward
We will miss you guys.

Catherine Johnson Perkins
Yay!!

Jan Harrison
This is beautiful. I felt a little nostalgic last Saturday, there were a lot of good times spent together in your home. On to new memories!

Sharon Pacheco
beautiful, like everything you do!

Emily Kirschman Petty
Woohoo!!

Susan Andrews
You made me cry! So beautiful

Alyse Johnson Packer I loved this! Also, I’m glad it ended the way it did. For awhile I was afraid you were going to say something like, “but instead it was bought by an investment company and they will be tearing it down to build apartments.” �� Going to the descendants of the original owners and knowing it will be with people who will appreciate it is a much better ending.

Catherine Johnson Perkins
That was my first thought too Alyse haha. What a cool post.

Rebecca Baertlein
This made me so sad! Maybe because I’m in a similar stage of life and we are outgrowing our house (minus the 4th child on the way ��) but your tribute is perfect and will be a wonderful way to remember your home and these crazy years of life! I’m sure your new home will hold so many more memories!

Amy B. Pew Crane
I love this post. It made me think of our first home in Peoria, AZ that we lived in for 6 years. I loved that little place. So many happy memories. I'll miss your little house, too. I've had some fun, crazy times with your kids and your cats there and the lizard and tortoise, too. Funny that for most of my memories of your house, you weren't there! :)

Lisa Olsen Tait
Does this mean that the new house is ready? I can't wait to see it!

Joseph Jensen
What a beautiful gift for writing you possess.

Camellia Smith Nelson Beautiful.
We moved last year into a new home and I still get nostalgic for the older one.

Kacee Cambron Mickelsen
You’ve done it again! Tears!! ����������

Amber Montgomery
Your writing is beautiful. Such a special tribute.

Kathryn Jensen Y
You certainly have a way with words ��

Christina Miller
This is a beautiful post.

Audrey Howell
Girl, how do you do it?? I feel like lived in your house with you after reading that! (In a non creepy way, of course ����) And I guess from following your blog these past years, I kind of have in a way. You have an amazing talent for capturing moments!! Can’t wait to see the memories you make in your new house!! ��

Anna Harrison said...

Andrea Harmon Hall
So why did you sell it!? It’s sounds like a perfect little haven and keeper of a home for life.
Andrea Harmon Hall
And dang! I wish somehow we knew about this home. Maybe we would have bought it.
Anna Harrison
Yes it is sold. Hence we have to be out Friday haha It was hard to leave and many times we debated staying. We love it, we had it for such a cheap price and it’s in a good location over all. But we definitely out grew it. We could have made it work like anyone can but I guess since we didn’t have to remain so crammed so we decided to move into somewhere with more space. Plus we were tired of not having any place to allow guests to stay or friends who needed help and somewhere to be for a while. We couldn’t host our families here. We did think of adding on but in the end- what it always comes down to was: what was right? And we felt that it was time to move on and we felt good about the place we decided to build. So forward with faith we go! Sorry. This was a long reply haha
Andrea Harmon Hall
Anna Harrison we have yet to buy or build our first home. We have rented three places and I always get attached to them even though space is small.
Lately I’ve been wondering what my dream home is. Something cute,quaint and small or a big glorious home? But I do know I want lots of land or at least some land the kids and I can play and explore in.
Andrea Harmon Hall How big is your new home? Is it close to your current home?

Amynicole Bracken
I'll read when I have a few minutes of quiet! Such a beautiful photo. I'm so sad you're moving from this sweet house, but also very excited for the new one! Best of luck with the moves friend!!

Linda Taylor
What beautiful memories! You are a gifted writer. On to the next chapter and more wonderful memories in the making.����

Jennifer Stickles
Anna why?! Just why,����������

Rachel Curtis
I shouldn’t feel sad you are moving away from that cute home...but somehow I do! What beautiful memories. Excited for you to make new ones!