June's had a lot of posts lately. With graduating preschool, turning five, making restaurants and all that crazy stuff, and I felt like I need to take some time to spotlight Hazel at 2 1/2 years old. (And I decided to use some of my favorite photos from this summer)
From a "mom only" baby to now an outgoing and feisty 2 year old, there's been a lot of growth! She is potty trained (although there are still bad days sometimes) but over all she has been a champion! She sleeps on the bottom bed of the bunk beds and transitioned to that from her crib without problem, which was nice.
She speaks in full, detailed sentences like, "I think my shoes are in the closet." And "I have a good idea! Daddy come home and take me on a date!"
The other day after her nap I was laying in her bed with her while she woke up and cuddled with me and she said, out of nowhere, "I eat pirate booty! (like a "healthy" cheeto snack she loves.) But lady bugs don't eat pirate booty." I asked, "What do they eat?" "They eat leaves!"
Or a new favorite: "Mom, here's my little bum. And there's your big bum!" (thanks)
She is already asking lots of questions about where things go and why do things do certain things.
She loves some alone time to sit and play with little characters such as fairies, little family figures, and princesses. I hear her in the room just chattering away, making Ariel talk to a little dog, for example.
She loves to be outside and collect sticks or rocks but she is still pretty scared of bugs. There have been a couple nights where she has woken up screaming like crazy that there is a lady bug in her bed! (she has a love/hate relationship with lady bugs.)
She's pretty good at communicating her needs and feelings. "Mommy, I SAD!" or "Now I'm happy!" and she's very clear when her boundary has been met, "No more tickling!" "Stop kicking!" "I had that first!" haha but really, if you listen and respect her then it's fine. But push past that personal space and you're going to get hit! ;) (we're working on this...) (but sometimes I don't blame her! She's only two and clearly said that she needed whatever it was to stop before she ever lashed out!) A couple weeks ago we were at a family gathering and Hazel wandered into the house to where the older boys were playing some game and she just starts yelling, "I NEED SPACE!" repeatedly. HAHA
She has been a decent little eater but she is picky too. Some of her favorites, besides pirate's booty ;), is edamame, cheese quesadillas, yogurt, all fruit but especially water melon, cheerios cereal, and peanut butter/nutella sandwiches.
She likes to announce herself, sometimes just because she's mad. Like, her being "Hazel" is a reason to listen to her! For example one time on a play ground some kids were in her way and I just hear her yelling, "I'm Hazel Mae!" But she feels the need to remind us often too. "Are you grumpy?" "No, I'm Hazel Mae!"
She's a little less concerned with sad people than June has always been. "Oh you're sad?" and walks away. HA. She's got her orange/copper hair and it does add a fiery element to her. One day she was yelling like a beast at our cat, thinking she was hilarious and June was on the other side nearly crying like Hazel was going to kill the animal, "No Hazel no! Be nice to Miso!! HAZEL!!!"
But she's still my little cuddle bug. Both girls are really, I've been lucky. Best times are after she wakes up in the morning or a nap or during a show or book. Some mornings she comes into my room if I'm still in bed and just lays with me. She still needs her special blankets to cuddle with and lots of kisses. She has been more busy though. Sometimes I ask for a hug and she says no and runs away. haha
Hazel is a fast learner and seems to be pretty coordinated thus far with physical skills such as running, jumping, kicking a ball, throwing, tumbling. Today she just started a new tumbling class and she loved it! The teacher was surprised that she was only 2 1/2.
So... as you can see I have plenty to write about Hazel! We love her curly copper hair and bright blue eyes, her excitement for life, her stories and jokes, and her ability to trust us and work through her complicated little two year old emotions. I am so bonded to her yet I have a sense that I don't know her, that she will be very different from me (being physically coordinated being at the top of the list haha) and teach me a lot.
We love our Hazel!












2 comments:
Glad Hazel is finally getting some attention! ;)
Seriously, these posts you do about their personalities are treasures and they will love reading them when they are older.
I agree with Annette. Hopefully your girls will treasure the journaling you have done about their lives. I wish I had written more about my children in a journal. Have a few entries here and there but that's it. June is special because she is our first grandchild and I love so many things about her. I love how Hazel is contemplative yet determined, how her eyes sparkle, her cute little reddish brown curls, and her fun comments and ability to communicate and all the rest that you have mentioned. I'm so glad she's in our lives.
Post a Comment