Monday was labor day! So Buck had the day off. I needed that long
weekend! It was the best. We had crepes in the morning and then went
to go on another hike, a new one this time. It was called Buffalo
Peak and it took us right into the top of the mountains and into the
heart of all the red and orange leaves I'd been daydreaming about
finding! I was so happy! It was stunning!
The hike itself was only a mile or so, so two total to get back.
We thought, “How bad can it be?” But Hazel was pretty grumpy and
clingy. We had brought Abe with us but forgot the carrier thing for
Hazel so it was a struggle trying to get her to walk and she ended up
being carried most of the time. I know if we had had the backpack
then she probably would have wanted to walk the whole way, that's
just how it works!
We came home with many leaves to add to our collection
So we took a break to eat some lunch and that was good and we
nearly called it quits, thinking we had go far enough but I kept
looking to the top of the peak and it was so close and it seemed
silly to stop now...
The top was right there! It was cool to see how one side was colored and the other was green.
So we decided to continue on. And MAN. Even though it was a short
distance it was SO STEEP and had tons of loose rocks on the trial to
slip on.
More baby bump photos- 25 weeks!
Abe saved me and nearly pulled me up as I held to his leash
but poor Buck ended up carrying both girls up the summit. What a man.
We huffed and puffed at the top but it was beautiful. But before
we could orient ourselves June needed to pee so we found a secluded
spot and she did that and then Hazel needed to go too and she ended
up squatting in a few places and leaving little poop presents
everywhere. I didn't have any wipes or extra underwear for that
matter (lucky THAT didn't become an issue!) so Hazel had to wipe with
some beautiful fall leaves and somehow the whole potentially
stressful thing had me laughing on top of a mountain, finding it
refreshing to have these new family adventures together.
Going back down was easier and much faster but Hazel insisted on mommy carrying her. So I think I had a pretty good work out that day, all things considered.
I don't know if our hiking goal was good or not because any time I mentioned the mountains this week June said, "No! All we do is climb them!" haha
But once we get there we all have a good time and it's totally been worth it!






































3 comments:
This is beautiful!! I love the photos of looking down into the canyon and one side is green and the other red. I'm super impressed with your pregnant hiking abilities! Also, your adventures of (your girls) peeing on top of the mountain may have made me grateful I have boys ;)
Well the view from the top was stunning and seems totally worth it to me but then I didn't have to make the climb. June is such a trooper. Now I thought we left the backpack for you so you could use it. You're not supposed to leave it at home, ha ha. And it's a good thing you know the difference between regular leaves and poison ivy. 😉
Oh my goodness!! Soooo beautiful!! I love Utah mountains in the fall! (I love Utah mountains anytime.) We need to go on a hike, but Frank definitely isn't up for it right now.
Post a Comment