Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Swimming!

As I mentioned before, we are so proud of June and all of her accomplishments lately, but swimming really seems to stand out the most. After a preschool graduation and a dance recital, you may wonder how swimming takes the cake. (which, it literally did, you'll see...)
It's because it's truly the first time that we have seen our little girl go from something that terrified her, paralyzing her with fear, to a brave and confident big girl. She worked so hard to overcome all the things she was scared of, she faced them even when it made her cry. She did it, she kept doing it. And now? She loves it!  
She made a weak thing become strong!
She took lessons from September to this May and we are taking a break for the summer, so Buck came to her last lesson. Which, can we also mention how amazing he is? Within two weeks he went into work late twice and came home early for all the graduation, recitals, last lessons. And it's not a super easy thing for him to do, but he did it. These girls don't know how lucky they are!

Hazel has also been taking a mom and tot swimming lesson with me the whole time. She's loved it for the most part but still gets super mad about getting dunked under. haha But we are also proud of her and her outgoing spirit and love of water.



So to celebrate we surprised the girls with a cake. Mostly it was for June, but you know, all Hazel cared about what that she got some of the treat. I don't know if this is one of those things that parenting books would tell me not to do because we shouldn't over celebrate every accomplishment but I don't care. I wanted June to remember how proud we are of her and that it's a big deal when you overcome fears.
We are not necessarily a minion obsessed family but this was the best swimming cake.
My parents were also in town and my mom got the girls each a flower for their little party.
So yes. That is the swimming tale for now! Wish us a safe and happy summer of swimming! :)

4 comments:

Max and Rebecca said...

Hooray for June,
I definitely want to hear more about this as Charlie is still terrified of us letting go of him in the water, (even if he's wearing a life jacket) He even told us he didn't want to go rafting this year :( What was her class like? how did she transition from a mom/tot class to a big girl swimming class? We really haven't taken Charlie swimming much and I'm sure that's part of the problem. (I took Miles on a swimming date last Friday and he was more brave than I've ever seen Charlie in the water)
Anyway, I love this and think it is totally worth celebrating!

Tanya Hanamaikai said...

Congrats to June!!

Adrian said...

Yay for June! Witnessing your child grow like this has got to be one of the best things about being a parent. One of those parenting pay days :)

4boyzmdmom said...

That is great!! I do think it's a pretty big deal to face your fears and overcome them. Seth still doesn't know how to swim or ride a bike because he is very stubborn about trying new things and gives up easily. We also don't have access to a pool which doesn't help. He loves playing in the water when he gets the chance to go to a pool, but refuses to cooperate when we try to help him learn to swim. I really need to get him in some swimming lessons!!