Wednesday, June 3, 2015

The Sage of Sickness

It all started with Buck. We were suppose to go on a date that night, it was the last chance for getting one in for the month of April. But he started feeling sick and it progressed rapidly that day. The fever came, the cough. 

And then Hazel was up in the night with a super high, scary fever. 
Buck had to travel to California for work but he was so sick. When he got home he nearly stopped functioning. So he went to the doctor and they found out that he had mono and bronchitis. 

Later that night I took Hazel to the doctor. She had croup and needed a steroid shot. 
Buck missed several days of work.


 At the end of that week I developed a bad sinus infection and had to go get some medicine for that. 
The next week Buck thought he was feeling better. Hazel started to get better too. June seemed to get some mild sinus problem but we worked through it with lots of tissues.


 But then the next week came. The weekend of mothers day Buck got super sick again. Hi- mono anyone? It lasts forever! He ended up missing some more days of work. At the end of that week is when we decided to go to that hotel for fun, to get out of the house. That ended in the girls throwing up and having the stomach flu. 

But I couldn't believe my luck. I ALWAYS get the stomach flu. But this time I didn't! 
Instead I decided to get bronchitis myself and add on some pneumonia for fun. 

It was a long and lonely week.

A week that ended with my parents coming to visit us for Memorial weekend! But that was kind of tragic because June ended up with strep throat. And when that girl gets sick, she gets SICK. She had a full blown panic attack for an hour because her throat hurt. Once we got the medicine for it she refused to take it and we ended up having to go back in and she had to get some traumatic shot in her hip. 

Not the weekend we had envisioned. 
 
But the whole month was like that. I couldn't believe how much we got sick! It was so crazy that we decided to get our house checked for mold, in case that was the culprit. (and it wasn't, surprisingly) 

The whole time it was pretty rainy and that seemed appropriate. (AND was probably the actual culprit.)

I felt lonely because all my friends have new babies and stuff and we couldn't get anyone sick anyways. So that's why we went to the mountains a lot and stuff. I learned some good lessons but in the end I, as an extrovert, am DRAINED. 

 Towards the end of it all I got these flowers from my grandma's garden. They were exactly what we needed.


The rain makes us happier to see the sun now. The sickness makes us elated to be healthy. It helps remind me that to have good health with the occasional sickness is an enormous  blessing that could be taken from any one at any given moment. 

So we will continue to be grateful. We will appreciate health now in case one day we don't have it. I want to always be able to look back and feel good about how I lived and used the blessings from God. 

I may be more paranoid than ever before about germs but more than anything we want to get out and have some fun, so, who wants to go on some adventures with us?

2 comments:

Adrian said...

It's unreal how sick you guys got! Pretty flowerthorough and it looks like you replaced the art your sister reclaimed :) We are glad you are better now and are so ready to play.

4boyzmdmom said...

Frank had mono when we were newly married and yes...it lasts forever!! Sorry for all the sicknesses! I have been thinking often in the last few weeks as Frank has been in constant pain, how fortunate we are that we usually feel fine and don't have any pain. A lot of people live with daily pain. I'm grateful that I don't...and that Frank's pain is probably temporary!