Thursday, December 4, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!

This year was the first year that we had Thanksgiving at our own house. We were excited! And then as the day approached I got nervous as I heard tales of other people's cooking disasters. But I'm happy to report that we didn't burn or ruin anything, in fact, it all tasted pretty good, if I do say so myself.

I prepared in advance. I practiced my table settings:

We tried on appropriate hats while out shopping for food and supplies:

For family night we made these leaf jar candle holder things. Here is June modeling it on Thanksgiving day:

The day of the feast we made some yummy appetizers to keep us going and cooking:

Ben and I wore grandpa sweaters

And then Ben did his uncle duty and kept the kids happy

Hazel let her pops hold her a lot! That's always exciting for me since she wont let people hold her normally.

And her and Jade also bonded. I mean, obviously it was important for Hazel to feed her aunt crackers.

Then I set the table. I was excited for this part because I had just gotten my pewter plates and mugs for my birthday. I wanted the table simple but unique but pilgrim-esque... I am happy with how it turned out. I also made Buck turn a backyard branch into a candle holder and that ended up being the center piece so there you have it. We used real leaves and my silverware is a set I got on another birthday one year. It's from Antropologie and each piece is unique and different. And my fancy table cloth is... burlap. And anyway, I think it all worked out.





June at her little table. She was the only kid there though and ended up sitting on my lap.
June wouldn't try any turkey. Or anything for that matter. I'm pretty sure she only had punch and donut holes. Some days you just win as a mom, you know?

FOOD.

Then Buck's parents surprised us by giving us all our "Christmas jammies" early. And they didn't disappoint. Adult sized footie pajamas made from sweat shirt material. And out names written on the hoods. It was hilarious. I laughed-cried when I saw Buck in his. There are just some things in life you never think that you'll see, and then one lucky day.... your husband is suddenly in this:

They turned out to be pretty comfortable though and everyone wore them the rest of the night while playing games.

Poor June. I'm pretty sure she hates Thanksgiving. For her it was a day of adults in a kitchen being boring, then food she didn't like, followed by boring adult games and then football.
In our defense we did bust out the Candyland board game and tried to play it with her. And I kept asking her if she wanted to help bake something and she did stir the pumpkin pie but.... yeah. She's a wee three year old and I think Christmas might be more exciting for her this year. ;)

Her and Hazel also got some grey pajamas. Here is our end of the night family photo! 

The next day us girls did some leisurely black Friday shopping, which is always exciting. Then we all went out for sushi, a tradition. I'd say it's a day after Thanksgiving tradition but really it's a tradition for anytime we're all together. Which I'm okay with.

Then we went to a movie. We saw Big Hero 6. It was cute! And surly it made up for the boring day before as June got an Icee, popcorn, and box of chocolates.
 
Then we went to Buck's cousin's house to hang out with the relatives there. There was more good food to munch on there and good company. And a friend for June.
 The next day we had some family photos taken by my friend Adrian. I'll show you them later but I know we got some great ones. We went to the lake for that and to Adrian's house to use her backdrop. We're all excited about it. Here's a cell phone sneak peak: 

After that Buck and I got to go to the temple. Then later I was able to stop by my grand parents house for a little bit for a get together they were having. And THEN we all did some MORE shopping. And then it was off for some MORE food! This time it was for my birthday and so I chose Market Street grill because I had never been and I love sea food. And it did not disappoint- I had 8 crab legs and two claws! I was in sea food heaven. Plus, it's a pretty restaurant.

Sunday we went to Buck's grandparent's house to visit and they got a new toy for kids to play with:

 Lastly, we ate lunch at his brother's new apartment. Then everyone had to disperse and leave and Buck's parents went to the airport. It's always sad but less sad this time since we will all see each other in just a few weeks again! Holidays are great this time of year.

This week now I have been feeling kind of lonesome though. It's always hard for me to go back to "normal days" after having so much family time. I mean I love my life and what I'm doing but having family around and fun things to do always makes everything even better. I wont complain too much though, I'm just grateful for the times we do have together and we're looking forward to Christmas! (but not January when it's lonely again...)

5 comments:

Max and Rebecca said...

So many thoughts while reading this! I love your amazing THanksgiving presentation and the food looked pretty great! June's "bored" face is so funny. But oh the pajamas! I was laughing out loud just as Charlie was doing something naughty which made him think he could keep doing it..anyway, Your family is pretty great!

4boyzmdmom said...

Your in laws are awesome! Those pajama photos are great...and I want some of those! They look SO comfortable! Seth is a super picky eater but lately he has been shocking me by eating things like chicken chili and enthusiastically telling me it's delicious! So you never know...kids are always full of surprises. We have so little "family" time. Why are Erin & Dan deserting us??!!!

4boyzmdmom said...

Since you asked on my blog, I have several Thanksgiving themed S & P shakers. Besides the ones in the photo, I also have some Indians (got them at the Cherokee Indian Reservation in NC), some praying hands, some turkeys, and some that are a grouping of harvest vegetables. And that's all I can think of right now...there are probably more! :)

Carrie Lynn said...

While I love everything about this post (footie pajamas!) I can't help but laugh out loud at that bored picture of June. That is amazing.

Adrian said...

Apparently I have read, but not commented on your blog for longer than I thought. Great posts! I enjoyed all of them and I still consider you to be one of the best/most timely bloggers I know. You inspire me :)