Sunday, June 1, 2014

Memorial Day

For memorial day weekend, we were lucky to have Jade down to visit. When she is visiting, however, sometimes we start to wonder if we are the most boring people to be around, but she seems content and happy so I guess it's okay. But I mean, college life and early twenties are wild and we.... well, we're not. ;) But that's fine. Instead of camping and skinny dipping we stayed home and had a little barbeque and did some yard work. Because we're crazy like that.


June's first experience with mustard. She was pretty offended.



Being a real dad means swinging with a crying baby, trying to get her to sleep, while the dog begs for your brownie. Wait, what?

Okay but being a real mom means succeeding and getting said baby to sleep. ;)

June is the best big sister. The sun came on Hazel's face and so she got her little umbrella out and put it right by her to help out, all without being prompted. I'm allowed to think my children are the cutest right? 

That evening I wanted to go spend some time thinking about the real reason for the one-day holiday. The kids were cranky and so Buck let me go by myself to the graves (bless him.) On the drive to the cemetery I listened to a neat program on NPR where they interviewed a surviving prisoner of war from WWII. It was sobering and made the trip more meaningful and though provoking. I was able to think of what freedom really means these days and how I can join the fight. 

When I got to my grandpa's grave I was happy to see that there were flowers. I thought about his stories from WWII ,being in the navy, fighting in the pacific theater after the Pearl Harbor attacks.
I brought a single peony from our yard.


Turns out going in the evening was the right idea.

Happy Memorial Day!

6 comments:

Carrie Lynn said...

An umbrella?! Are you kidding me?! So cute.

Tanya Hanamaikai said...

Okay, the real dad and real mom captions made me crack up! You make it look like you had the most gorgeous memorial day of any body!

Erinlizabeth said...

I'm pretty sure I never put an umbrella over you to shield you from the sun... sorry...

Max and Rebecca said...

Haha, I like Erin's comment. Charlie has been quite the helper but if he ever got an umbrella near Miles' face I'm pretty sure there would be an injury.
Sounds like you had a beautiful reflective Memorial Day.

Lillybet said...

When your children are kind to each other it melts your heart. Mostly I just wanted to say thank you for visiting my parents graves when I can't. It warms my heart to see that others besides yourself care as well with the extra flowers that were already there.

4boyzmdmom said...

That was a sweet picture of June & Hazel under the umbrella. I love it when my kids are nice to each other! Loved Erin's comment and then Carrie's after that...hahaha!