Wednesday, March 28, 2012

On oceans and skies



 ---------------------------------------

I’m obsessed with the sky. I look at it often. I think about it often. I write about it often. I CANNOT HANDLE how AMAZING it gets when it changes colors. COLORS! So many COLORS. I know, most of the day it is blue. Loyal and blue. But have you ever taken in a yellow morning? The ones that practically butter your toast? Or what about purple nights? The ones that seduce you? Or silver afternoons? Did you notice how careful they seem to be, how still? And at night time! The sky goes BLACK. BLACK! It’s as if it opens up, undresses and flashes us all what’s underneath its colorful robes. Naked skies have stars. They are endless and mysterious. Deep. Vulnerable. Maybe that is why man is always connecting with it in dark hours. We relate to that feeling of being exposed. However, we have a choice. The sky does not. But then again, the sky cannot really be hurt by us and all of our insanity. She is what she is. And she has never changed. Nothing in the existence of earth has ever been so dependable, so constant, so honest. People- we look up and are told a story everyday! We can always look up and see color. We can always look up. I think I’d like to be more like the sky. Be open and honest about what I am feeling. If I’ve got clouds, why not show them? Sunny day- share it with everyone. Why should I try and hide my tapestry? (I'm sure if you talked to Buck about this, however, he would say that I am plenty open about what I'm feeling when I'm feeling it...)


So let’s talk about the ocean. Some (or maybe none) people may wonder why I love the sea so much, especially since I grew up in Idaho. Maybe they just assume that I’m blond and want to lay around and tan and feel cool and trendy. And while I love to lay on a beach and be warm, that’s not the whole story for me. Because I’m weird. And I feel like the ocean is one with the sky. It’s massive and blue. But it reflects the sky. So when the sky is grey, so is it. When it is pink, so are the waves. At night when all goes black, so is the water. Have you ever seen a full moon’s light reflecting on each ebb and flow? Stars. It seems just as endless and deep as space. So many mysteries. When you’re in it- you’re weightless. I swear, each time I get into the ocean I feel like I’m diving into the sky. The world flips upside down and for me, that’s as close to heaven as I can get.
Call me cheesy. Call me weird. Call me lame. Tell me that I think too much or that I’m trying too hard to be poetic.
I don’t care.
I’ve thought this for years. This is not a new thought for me. Just one that I figured nobody would really care much about. What, with politics and such going on.

But there it is.
Did anybody read this?

7 comments:

Carrie Lynn said...

Yeah, Anna. The first thing I thought was "why is she writing about the sky when she COULD be giving us her Mitt Romney opinion."

Here's a thought- why is it that the sky seems so safe, but the ocean so terrifying to people like me?

amynicole said...

Mmmmm I feel the same. For real, I like your words about them both. I could stare at either one all day and night. Just watching. Studying. Staring. Mmmmmm I love them :)

Anna Harrison said...

Carrie- I think that the sky would be pretty terrifying if you got trapped up in it... you know, space and all. Not for the faint of heart.

4boyzmdmom said...

Yes, I read it :) I don't pay enough attention to the sky but when I do I wonder why I'm not looking at it more often. I love all the different colors of the sky too. Two days ago when I was too sick to do anything else so I looked at the sky through my window for quite a while. It was this amazing gray / blue color and I remember wishing I could get that color onto paper (or into fabric).

4boyzmdmom said...

PS--Scroll back if you want to read the comments I left on most of your posts for the last couple of weeks. I finally got caught up! :)

Anonymous said...

I finally understand why you wanted the licence plate "look up". -Dayna

Lillybet said...

I feel much the same as you I just don't articulate it the same way. Thought I would share this info. that I read in the paper and online in the last week. I think you would appreciate it. You can also google James Cameron deep sea dive on March 25th and read more. Just for info., Cameron is the filmmaker who did "Avatar" and "the Abyss".

On March 25th James Cameron became the first solo person to explore the deepest valley in the ocean called the Mariana Trench 7 miles below the western Pacific Ocean. Two men made a 20-minute foray there more than half a century ago. He spent about three hours gliding through the icy darkness, illuminated only by special lights on the one-man sub he helped design. ...Of this Cameron said: "I felt like I literally, in the space of one day, had gone to another planet and come back. It was a very surreal day. The last frontier on Earth is out-of-this-world, desolate. My feeling was one of complete isolation from all of humanity....There had to be a moment where I just stopped, and took it in and, and said, "I'm at the bottom of the ocean, the deepest place on the Earth. What does that mean? I just sat there looking out the window, looking at this barren, desolate lunar plain, appreciating.It's really the sense of isolation, more than anything, realizing how tiny you are down in this big vast black unknown and unexplored place."

The reports say that all Cameron saw were voracious shrimp-like critters that weren't bigger than an inch. In future missions, Cameron plans to bring "bait" - like chicken - to set out. The paper also said that from the video taken that it looks foreboding, and moon-like, At first it appeared dull...It is a very soft, almost gelatinous flat plain.

There you have it. What would it be like to be that far down or to be in space and experience that. I don't suppose I will ever know, but it is a wonder to contemplate the beauty of them both.