Wednesday, November 16, 2011

American Fork and Photography

Last Week Buck, June, and I went on a walk down Main Street in American Fork. I've been fascinated with it. It has such a small town feel but it's surrounded by urban/suburb sprawl. I've been wanting to take pictures of it for a while now.

Also I have been re-thinking my photography. I started out with so many dreams. None of them really lead to where I ended up. I dreamed of travel and candid photos of things and people. I wanted to work hand in hand with God in showing people why this world is beautiful. I loved showing others how I saw things, my perspective. My testimony. And where did it end up? Taking photos of weddings and engaged people. WHICH ended up being a lot of fun as well. But I started getting lost in just taking a portrait and not telling a story. I've been trying to find that again. Bring the two together. I've been searching for my inner story-teller. Anyone can learn to take a good photograph. But not everyone can make art. I want to make art.

And like anything, it takes practice. Like in dance. Did you know I danced for 13 years? Haha, well, you wouldn't be able to tell now. But that's not the point. The point is that while I danced I got to the point where I was flexible enough to do the splits. A month after I quit I couldn't do the splits anymore because I also quit stretching or practicing. Now, to get back to that point I would have to stretch a certain way everyday for who knows how long. I can't just decide and go do the splits again.

And so it is with my photography. My photos may not be the best in the world but I am working hard and I feel like I am getting better. But it will take time.

Did you know that the word "photography" means "light writing?" Awesome, right? I am writing and telling my story with light. And colors! I use the sun's rays as paint brushes. I think that something that deflated my passion for a while was that everyone suddenly decided they were photographers as well. It's become some new trend. Or maybe that's just a thing here in Utah where everyone does everything. It's overwhelming and hard to find my place.   

So anyway, here are some of my American Fork photos. If anyone even cares. :) (I know you care Grandma) ;)


























6 comments:

4boyzmdmom said...

Keep working on it, Anna! You definitely have talent.

You would LOVE downtown Frederick! You need to come visit me and I will take you walking down there. It's very "artsy", there are tons of cute little shops and restaurants, and a lot of the buildings are hundreds of years old so they are very beautiful and interesting, architecturally.

You've got to come! :)

Anna Alyse said...

I would love to come visit you guys!

Erinlizabeth said...

Ooooo... what a crazy little town you live in. ;-)

RAQ said...

love these!

amynicole said...

Loving #2 and that cool fountain and basically all of them :) Plus, I want your coat and hat.

Adrian said...

Funny, we just talked about your dancing days today and that same tie in to photography.

You should be thanking Elora for all of these comments. She randomly woke up and wont go back to sleep...