Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My Resume: The true story

Last night I had orientation for my Ham job. It's not much but I'm actually excited.   I get to work with people and be outgoing and talk. What more could I ask for? And besides, it mostly just feels nice to know that I am going to contribute something to my new marriage. Even if it is temporary-seasonal. I don't care. I'm excited to be apart of the working class.
There. I said it.

As I was sitting there watching a video about ham and sitting next to a boy who kept humming (does he know that he does this?! All. The. Time? Someone should tell him...) I began to laugh. I mean, am I surprised that I'm almost 25 years old, have a college degree and yet have a seasonal job selling HAM?

Nope.

And it's because of all the random jobs I've held in my life.

First up: Tropical Tiki Treats: The snow cone shack. 
My parents purchased this little business and owned it for a few summers. That is where I spent my time, working, watching soap operas and hanging out with friends. I worked there for FOUR summers. All through high school. The first couple summers I was able to work with friends like Alyse and Amber.  By the end of my time there I was going to refuse service the next person to ask what "tiger's blood" tastes like. But in the end the cash got me to EUROPE so it was worth it.



Then: Target Portrait Studio
This was the fall of 2004, right after my first summer block as a college student. I came home on my off track and acquired this little gem of a job. My boss was insane and the kids I tried to photograph threw the props at me. Thankfully my dear friend Carrie also landed a job there and we were able to goof around (and get in trouble together.)


Also: The Corn Maize
During this time we both also worked at one of those corn mazes for a month or two. I worked in the concessions. I dressed up like a viking bar maid for Halloween that year to work.


Next up: Jacob Lake Inn
This was in the fall of 2005 on my off track again. I got a job working at a lodge down near the north rim of the Grand Canyon. I lived and worked there, isolated in the middle of nowhere- with all my other co-workers. Needless to say we had many adventures and we all became close friends. Because of the location I was able to spend my days off being someone I never had before: a hiker. The biggest feat? Hiking the entire Grand Canyon, rim to rim, in one day. 26 miles. Everyone thought I would die, including myself, but I ended up being the first person out. TAKE THAT.




Then: Heart, Mind, and Soul
During the school year in 2006 I got a job as a waitress. It was at a brand spanking new restaurant called "Heart, Mind, and Soul" in Rexburg Idaho and the owner was a British man with a lot of money. I was the first waitress he hired. For our interview we went to JB's diner and got milkshakes. I had no experience but he didn't care- he was hiring based on personality. So I felt special. :) The restaurant was so different from anything that whole grain town had seen. There was a non-alcoholic "kissing bar," love sacs everywhere, couches with T.V's playing old black and white films, and a stage where people came and played acoustic music. Except on Monday night- karaoke night. I really enjoyed my time there and my British boss was going to put me as a singer in his band. But my last day came the day after a close friend was killed. They let me go home early and have the next week off, which was the last week of school and then I decided to go home and serve a mission. When I returned home after serving, I found that Heart, Mind, and Soul had disappeared. Sad day.



Oh yes: Retail
Before I left on my mission, as I was home preparing, I worked at Old Navy. I folded a lot of clothes. And I had to wear an elf hat.


Post Mission: A bad experience
I got hired at a dairy shop in Rexburg. I had to dress up like a cow and stand with a sign on the street corner. In the middle of winter.
I lasted two weeks and then quit.
Yes, this is a TRUE photo: that's ME in that cow costume...


So: Service
Then I got on fast track, meaning I had no semesters off, and so I didn't work, but just focused on graduating. But during that time I held some positions that were job-status worthy. I worked on campus with Service Activities. One semester I was a program manager for "Serving the I" and then I was a Coordinator, so I was over a few program managers, and then I was the Marketing director. Go service!


And: Internship
I got to do an internship my last semester at the state Juvenile Corrections Center. It was a learning experience and I loved it. I still miss those delinquent girls.


Lastly: Teenagers
Got me job out of college working at a residential treatment center for teenage girls. I really loved it and I was close with the girls. So I was kind of depressed when they LAID me OFF. They also laid off half the employees. Sheesh. It was sad. But I did get to work with my friend Mandy. She was laid of too. 
Did you really? I lost mine...


Now. Honey Baked Ham.
Go figure.

So. Did you actually read all of this? Because if you did you should comment. Nobody comments anymore. I'm starting to wonder who is out there reading this, because, well- when I look at my "stats" I can see that people from India and Russia and AMERICA are reading this. Who are you?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Anna! I loved this post. So funny! That silly G's Dairy. If it means anything, you were a very cute cow ; )

audrey said...

i have so much respect for you right now. i had no idea you dressed up as a cow in the winter! ps did you ever hear WHY HMS closed?

Max and Rebecca said...

You better believe i'm reading this! I'm a little jealous of your resume too. I've had only 3 jobs in my life and 2 of those were really short!

Liz said...

I'm from America. This was fun to read! I wish I had pictures of my own resume. You go, girl.

Leah said...

I'm from America as well. And I read this. Cool.

Jodi said...

ha! this made me laugh. especially the part about the humming boy

4boyzmdmom said...

I always read your blog. Your resume is much more interesting than mine! Although I can say that one of my responsibilities at my first job after graduating from college was to fill out the company owner's monthly report for his parole officer. Yes, really! And don't feel bad that not many people are posting comments. No one every comments on my blog except for Rachelle (bless her!) I don't think anybody else reads it.

The Cranes said...

I read your blog, Anna. Just sometimes I don't get a chance to check everyone's blogs for weeks! My resume for a very long time was McDonalds--Always and forever--tons of responsibility, once I was a shift manager, at minimal pay. Never did have my "dream job" except MTC teacher was awesome. (And not counting now--wife to Nathan and mother to four kiddos.) Hope you find something more permanent and what you want to be doing soon.

RAQ said...

Hey, I JUST found your blog! I always comment since no one here listens to me, I can sound off online! I should post my resume it's pretty diverse but I never had to dress like a cow! That is too cool! or cold!:)

KJoyPhotography said...

So you know how i called you and left that message.... well i've had time to think about it and i'm pretty sure that it's not new news, i think that we already discovered this a long time ago. But i'm forgetful so it means i just get to get the same awesome suprise twise! It just make life more exciting :)

Adrian said...

Haha! That cow costume is too much!! This post reminded me of all of the random jobs I have held too. Maybe I should write a similar post.