It was a weird summer with a theme of injured birds! The first time was in Boise when I was there for a quick weekend with my friend to see my parents perform in a play. My dad found two babies on the lawn. We couldn't find the nest or any sign of a mama bird so we took them in. They were eager and hungry so we fed them berries. My sister was the real hero in all of this and found a friend to take them in, since we had to go to the play that night and couldn't keep up on their care. All we know is that the next day or two they disappeared out of the box. Whether another animal got them or they flew away.... we prefer not to think about it.
Next my cat brought in a poor baby bird. She left it alive and in the laundry room. It seemed okay but young. Again, couldn't find the nest or mom. I called a couple wildlife centers and there are not many to choose from and out of the three- two of them were a couple hours away north and south of us. There was only one place in sketchy West Valley. But what else could I do?
So me and the kids took it in. The place was super random and eclectic. An old man in a motorized wheel chair greeted us. There were make-shift sheds and shelters and lots of large birds roaming around. And one shed with a bunch of birds in cages. However random the place was, you could tell that the guy really cared about the birds and was just trying to help out. He was worried that the baby bird could have an infection in the bite marks from our cat. He had medicine to give it and then once it was ready he'd set it free.
Well, a month or two later Buck sees an article in the local news about this very bird place saying that "wildlife authorities" had busted in there and seized over 80 birds and then euthanized them!!! They claimed all the birds had bird flu (which has been a problem and going around) but the man who owns the place claims they didn't even check or have proof. I don't know if our bird was still there or not but either way HOW SAD. That poor guy and those poor birds! And HOW WEIRD that I've never known of this place before but now had a connection to it just in time for that new story to happen!
Next up was the poor humming bird! Another catch from my freaking cat. She proudly brought it to us, and it was still alive. But it was in rough shape, and clearly had a broken wing. I assumed it would die soon so to help Rose, who was around for the whole thing, we put it in a bow to die in peace. She added the flower. But then to my surprise it started to perk up!
However! Buck and I were leaving on our anniversary getaway and Buck's sister was watching the kids at our house.... so she also got a humming bird to watch over.... As Buck and I were in the car headed to dinner I called another wildlife center (not going back to that other place!) and they said to give it some sugar water to tide it over until I could take it in the next day. They said "whatever you do, don't let the sugar water touch the bird's feathers/wings/body!" So I called Jade to tell her and before I said it she said "I tried to give it some sugar water but it fell in it."
What are the chances of it all? The poor thing died the next day before we could get home and take it in.
Nope. There's still more. Buck accidentally hit a bird. We think. But then it was gone. But then our neighbors were all texting about an injured bird (they live right by where Buck probably hit it... so he probably did) it was unable to fly and stuck by their house. So one of the neighbors brought it to me, knowing I've got a bleeding heart for animals. And also apparently I am destined to take in baby birds. But so far my track record in helping them has not been great.....
This time I didn't want to mess around. I wanted to drive the 2 hours north and take it in (honestly though- why can't they have a center in SLC?! That seems much more central!) Buck did NOT want to make that drive but I didn't want to go alone. But he saw my sad eyes and was my hero and so we stuffed all the kids into the car and we made the long drive.
But this last story has a good ending at least. This place allows you to call in and check on the wildlife you brought in and I'm happy to report that this little barn swallow made a full recovery and is back out in the wild.













1 comment:
What the bird? How do lost and injured creatures always find you? Ha ha! We have never had anything like this happen. Way to be loving, awesome people who can help out.
Post a Comment