Sunday, December 6, 2020

Happy 18th Birthday Haben!

Happy 18th Birthday, Haben! 

 

We love you so much! Since the day I even learned about you I felt it deep in my soul that we were connected. All I knew was that a girl was coming to America and needed a family here. And that was enough. 


You have been so amazing! You've been through more than most any child should ever know. And yet your resilience is breath taking. Your ability to laugh and joke, your love for others and children. You're helpful at home and a wonderful cook. I've loved watching you form close relationships with each kid at home. 

 

It's no secret that you've also got a special bond with Dad. The first man you've ever known to try and make Eritrean food. He has shown you the goodness of real men, just like your own father. I love how much you trust him.

You are truly amazing- beautiful inside and out! My heart already breaks when I think about you moving out! Ugh. We will miss you dearly!

 
We love you! 

This year some firsts for Haben were:  

Coming to America
Going to Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming
Meeting the Grinch
Going to Luminaria Light festival
Eating gingerbread
Eating a number of American foods, for that matter
Learning English
Going to Ice Castles
Setting off a sky lantern
Holding a sparkler
Going sledding
Seeing snow
Having a snow ball fight
Driving a car
Going to high school
Getting a job
Celebrating various American Holidays
Going through a pandemic
And earthquake
Going to the mountains
And hiking
Riding in a kayak
And speed boat
Getting ice cream from a truck
Finding Easter eggs and a basket
Going to the Tulip Festival
Learning to swim
Riding a horse
Joining a couple protests
Watching base jumpers jump
Staying in a cabin
Driving a wave runner
Going to Yellowstone National Park
Seeing fireworks
Going on a roller coaster
Wandering in a sunflower field
Learning to like cats and dogs
Getting an MRI
Staying in a hotel
Surviving Halloween
Eating turkey
And lastly- getting a tattoo! 

What a crazy year!

 
Happy Birthday!