About a week and a half ago, my dad's dad, my Grandpa Pew, passed away. He was 84 years old. I was able to be in the hospital room, along with many loving family members, as he left this earth and continued his journey into another realm. This is what I had posted that day:
-------
It’s the way most any of us hope to leave this earth one day. Peacefully, surrounded by family, after a long and good life lived, knowing you did your best. This morning, as my grandpa’s last breaths slowed, my grandma leaned over him and whispered in his ear. I imagined she told him she loved him, that he could go be at rest now, and that she will follow him as soon as she can. (Although none of us want her to be doing that anytime soon! But she’s made it very clear her whole life that she does NOT want to be alone.)
There’s something very sacred in being in a room as someone leaves this life and goes onto the next. Knowing this is not the end. Being reminded what’s most important. The peace we feel that we will see our loved ones again one day and be reunited is not some wishful thinking, a mere coping mechanism. It’s a deep and tangible knowledge. Because no matter how old a person or how timely a death, we can feel that we are not made for final good byes. We are made for forever.
This is a photo of June with my grandpa (whom she calls “Opa.”) from a few years ago. I’m so grateful to have had a wonderful relationship with him and that my girls got to know and love him too.
Till we meet again Grandpa!
“Even when the elderly or infirm have been afforded merciful relief, their loved ones are rarely ready to let go. The only length of life that seems to satisfy the longings of the human heart is life everlasting." -President Nelson
-----
I've grown up my whole life knowing my grandpa and grandma Pew. They've always been there, always involved. When I think back on my most pronounced memories of and with him, it's hard to separate those from memories with my grandma, because they were ALWAYS together. They went every where together, sat next to each other in "their spots" on the couch, often holding hands, they had their places next to each other at the dinner table. They moved around the country when they were raising their family and had so much support for each other through it all. I think that's one of the things that stands out to me the most, and inspires me. To have a marriage like theirs.
And the memories are a weave of grandpa singing silly songs and making silly noises, taking photos and giving me his old dark room equipment, always being there to support me (and all their children and grandchildren!) especially being there for mission farewell, homecoming, my wedding, baby blessings. We have monthly family get togethers and other more quiet evenings of just my little family being there for dinner with them or to hang out. Many memories having conversations about all sorts of topics. This last summer my grandparents came out to support my girls' lemon-aid stand. I mean, really, it's just a whole lot of everything. They've always been here and involved and apart of our lives.
| My grandpa and baby me! |
| Grandpa and little Erin, my sister |
![]() |
| Family reunion- I'm the baby sleeping on grandma :) |
![]() |
| Little me at Christmas time with Grandpa |
| At my mission farewell |
![]() |
| Wedding day |
![]() |
| Holding baby June- their first great grandchild! |
![]() |
| June's blessing day |
![]() |
| June and "Opa" |
![]() |
| A typical crazy family gathering. Baby Hazel on my lap. |
![]() |
| One of our last gatherings, bigger Hazel now on "Opa's" lap |
| At our last gathering, with all the great grand kids, except Daxton who was sleeping |
And anyway, I know this is a long post already and I'm not even done yet but it's my blog and our family history so I want this well documented! So I am going to add his obituary because it talks about all the cool things he did- including militarily service, missionary service, working with NASA, living all over, and having tons of kids. :) So here's a recap of his life:
"The great heart of a great man stopped beating on April 12, 2018. Gerald
Pew was a man of absolute integrity and respect, faithful in fulfilling
all of his duties as a husband, father, provider, protector, citizen,
and disciple of Christ. He was born on June 30, 1933 in Mesa, Arizona,
the son of Walter Harvey Pew, Jr. and Anna Jane Kleinman. He was the
tenth of eleven children and grew up on a dairy farm, enjoying horseback
riding and eating homemade ice cream. He graduated from Mesa High
School where he participated in drama and FFA. After high school he
enlisted in the Air Force, where he was stationed in San Antonio, TX;
Denver, CO; Albuquerque, NM; and Sculthorpe, England, during the Korean
War.
Jerry married Jo Ann Johnson in the Mesa Arizona LDS Temple on July 21, 1955 and they are the parents of nine children. He attended Arizona State University until he began his career at Motorola Corporation in Phoenix. He was then recruited by IBM where he worked for the next 20 years in their Military Products, Data Processing, and Federal Systems Divisions. While with IBM he participated on several contracts with NASA, including work on the operating system that was used to control unmanned space probes such as Mariner and Voyager, the programming of the onboard computers for the Space Shuttle, and the Space Shuttle Approach and Landing Tests. During his time at IBM he and his family lived in Endicott, NY; Marysville, CA; Yuba City, CA; Del City, OK; Fairfield, CA; San Jose, CA; Glendora, CA; Denver, CO; Houston, TX; and Lancaster, CA. In December 1978 he left IBM and started a job as manager of the Software Development Department with Billings Computer Corporation in Provo, UT. He and his family moved to Orem, UT, where he lived for the next 23 years. During this time he also worked for Eyring Research, IBA/VLS, Folio Corporation, and Novell. He retired in July of 1998 and eventually moved to Lehi, UT where he lived for the remainder of his life.
Jerry enjoyed his family, BYU sports and the Utah Jazz, woodworking, and doors that are shut. He was not musically trained but was naturally musical and often whistled/sang around the house and enjoyed playing the harmonica. His children have fond memories of being woken up nearly every Saturday morning by the sound of him singing Rogers and Hammerstein's "Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin'" from Oklahoma! He could fix anything but definitely did not enjoy fixing cars.
He was a faithful member of The Church of Jesus of Christ of Latter-day Saints where he served as counselor in three bishoprics, high council member, high priest group leader, stake clerk, and several times as ward clerk. He and his wife Jo Ann served a full-time mission as Chicago Illinois Temple workers from 1999 to 2001 where he served as assistant recorder. They served a second mission as workers in the Texas San Antonio mission office from 2002 to 2003."
Jerry married Jo Ann Johnson in the Mesa Arizona LDS Temple on July 21, 1955 and they are the parents of nine children. He attended Arizona State University until he began his career at Motorola Corporation in Phoenix. He was then recruited by IBM where he worked for the next 20 years in their Military Products, Data Processing, and Federal Systems Divisions. While with IBM he participated on several contracts with NASA, including work on the operating system that was used to control unmanned space probes such as Mariner and Voyager, the programming of the onboard computers for the Space Shuttle, and the Space Shuttle Approach and Landing Tests. During his time at IBM he and his family lived in Endicott, NY; Marysville, CA; Yuba City, CA; Del City, OK; Fairfield, CA; San Jose, CA; Glendora, CA; Denver, CO; Houston, TX; and Lancaster, CA. In December 1978 he left IBM and started a job as manager of the Software Development Department with Billings Computer Corporation in Provo, UT. He and his family moved to Orem, UT, where he lived for the next 23 years. During this time he also worked for Eyring Research, IBA/VLS, Folio Corporation, and Novell. He retired in July of 1998 and eventually moved to Lehi, UT where he lived for the remainder of his life.
Jerry enjoyed his family, BYU sports and the Utah Jazz, woodworking, and doors that are shut. He was not musically trained but was naturally musical and often whistled/sang around the house and enjoyed playing the harmonica. His children have fond memories of being woken up nearly every Saturday morning by the sound of him singing Rogers and Hammerstein's "Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin'" from Oklahoma! He could fix anything but definitely did not enjoy fixing cars.
He was a faithful member of The Church of Jesus of Christ of Latter-day Saints where he served as counselor in three bishoprics, high council member, high priest group leader, stake clerk, and several times as ward clerk. He and his wife Jo Ann served a full-time mission as Chicago Illinois Temple workers from 1999 to 2001 where he served as assistant recorder. They served a second mission as workers in the Texas San Antonio mission office from 2002 to 2003."
![]() |
| 1999 |
The whole evening of the viewing is a bit a of a blur. The viewing was perfect- a great table was set with photos and items about my grandpa. The casket was made of beautiful, naked pine. My grandpa looked really good. It was good to see family. There was a lot of chasing around our girls.
Then there was the funeral. Last minute I ended up finding someone to take Rose for the day- she was going to be so hard and not getting a nap in- so my friend Erin took her and it was SO NICE of her to do so, it meant a lot and helped so much!
Then the funeral service was great. The ward had a nursery so we got to drop our girls off and actually listen! My dad gave one of the talks and he did great. It was fun to hear the stories. Also see how much my dad is like his dad. And think about all those things I've taken with me into parenting. It was empowering to think of the family that I've come from, and I felt so grateful for that. The spirit was strong and you could feel again the plan of salvation and its power.
The song I sang with cousin Jessie (and Erin and Maddie flawlessly on their flutes) actually went really well, thanks to prayer. The bishop of their ward had closing remarks and closed with reading a testimony my grandpa wrote several years ago and it was perfect.
Then we went to the cemetery and had the dedicatory prayer and a gun salute.
![]() |
| Almost all the grandkids |
![]() |
| My aunts and uncles |
I feel like I didn't even really get all the thoughts, feelings, and emotions out about the funeral and stuff. But basically, over all, it was peaceful, beautiful, profound, binding, still sad, but hopeful. I am proud to be from the Pews. And I know I will see my family again one day. I really really do know this. I am struck with the profoundly deep purpose that I am able to have on this earth by being a wife and a mother. My grandparents were once where I am too- younger, young kids, stressful times, but I got to see the end picture- how worth it it all is.
And now, to end, I wanted to add the testimony he wrote several years ago, that they read at the end of the services this week:
"I am thankful for the many opportunities that I have had in my lifetime. I am thankful for my membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am looking forward to serving a mission and hope that all of my grandsons are planning to serve a mission. I am thankful for my parents and for all that they did for me. I'm thankful for my brothers and sisters and the examples they have been for me. Most of all I am thankful for my wife for I truly love her and am thankful for all that she does for me. She has been a wonderful example for me. I know that she loves me or she would not have been able to put up with me through all these years. I am looking forward to her being my missionary companion. I am thankful for all of my children and their families. Nothing makes a parent happier than seeing their children and grandchildren living the gospel and striving to keep Gods commandments. I love you all. I want you all to know that I know that God lives and that Jesus Christ, his son, lives. It is only through our Savior that we can hope to return to God to live some day. I hope with all my heart that we will all be there together some day."
Here's to that happy reunion one day with all our loved ones. 💜

































3 comments:
Beautifully written! Amen!
You touched on everything that can be so good about funerals. I like how, for the most part, they come at unplanned times to shake us for a moment from our day-to-day and remind us of everything you said about the journey that our lives are, and our families.
You are the best writer and what an amazing tribute to your grandfather and this will be such a precious thing for your girls as they grow and it can keep his memory alive for them while on this earth. I love this line "we are not made for final good byes. We are made for forever." Thank goodness for that truth! And I love your grandparents and feel so lucky to have met them on a couple occasions. And that one time we went on a double date with them to see Fiddler on the Roof, that was awesome!!
Post a Comment