Monday, March 7, 2016

Happy Birthday Buck!

Today I want to tell you the story of the most manly man I know. 
Even though I wont be around for Buck's birthday this year, and in fact we will be the farthest away that we've ever been since being married, I couldn't let the day pass without making him a birthday post.
Because the fact alone that I am not there for his birthday tells a huge story. Buck is the whole reason I am in Armenia. When he found out about this opportunity, he told me that day that I was going to go, that we would find a way to make the money work, that there are some things in life that you just figure out. He said "It's an investment in your future and in you and that's always worth it." I mean, you guys! That's the man I married! 
And then he's been so supportive of my other crazy dreams like starting this non profit. He wants to build me my dream home. He is always helping out with the girls. And not in a "I'll help YOU" way but a "I'm a part of the family and this is what family's do" sort of way. We are truly a team where husband and wife and father and mother are our top joint roles. We are not defined by "stay at home mom" and "working father" even though that is a part of who we are. 
He is a handy man. He is always willing and able to fix things up around our old house. He knows how to do a lot of things but if he doesn't then he researches it and learns how. Plumbing, cars, painting, putting in new floors, pruning, whatever. Anything and everything. I love this about him. 
And he is well rounded. He like technology and is good at it. He's a smart business man and a wonderful leader and manager at his job. Anytime I've visited or at work parties his co workers and team members pull me aside to tell me how awesome Buck is and how well liked he is. People come to him to ask for help fixing their computers. He's been making me websites. He is a jack of all trades! I know that once he has time to really start wood working or water coloring that he will excel in that too. He's one of those people that can seriously learn and master anything! Even when he gets a chance to play sports, although not his first interest in life, he is talented and natural at it.

He's into the outdoors and I find that manly. He loves to be there and dreams of camping all the time as a family. He can take care of it all. The tent building, the fire making, the star gazing. He knows his way around. He can also drive a boat and drive a car pulling a boat and then back that car and boat into the water. He tells me that this takes skills. He always drives us everywhere and keeps us safe. He's not afraid of the snow or rain when he's driving (like I am!) 
But what's more is that he is sensitive and emotional. He stays up late to listen to me and talk with me. We talk about anything and everything. He's listened to me read all of my journals from my whole life. He lets me over analyze all of my emotions. He is actually helpful with his advice (most of the time ;) ) He is deeply concerned about my friends and family. He is involved in their lives and problems, even if they don't all know it.  I know that I can trust him with the deepest parts of my soul. 
He loves his girls and can be firm with them yet then tender. He observes them and is keenly aware of their little personalities and needs. He is playful and silly. He asks them questions about their days. He can't help but by them little presents throughout the year. He pushes them to be brave and realize how strong they are. He reads them stories in varied character voices. 
Most importantly he is a man who holds a deep belief and knowledge of God. He does not blindly follow, but has fought for this belief through many hard trials. We can spend all our days just talking about spiritual matters, he loves it. It's just something that is a part of him. Down into his bones, it's part of everything he says and does. It's natural, not forced. 
 And on top of it all, he can grow a good looking mustache. ;) 

So happiest of birthdays to the most manly of men. I love you and every day I cannot believe my good fortune in finding you. Of all the gifts God has given me, you are the best. Not a day goes by that I've had to worry about you or about us. You are strong and solid- body, mind, and spirit. You age well, my darling. In all the right ways you, age well. 32 is looking good on you! 

I'll see you soon! Until then, have a happy birthday.  


(and for me it's already his birthday so I'm posting this even though it's not quite his birthday in America.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love you Anna

max and rebecca said...

Happy Birthday Buck! You are my hero! A great example and friend. :)

Max and Rebecca said...

I see that Max already commented but I'm going to as well! We love Buck and hope he had the happiest birthday. We can't wait for our next trip to Armenia when Buck and Max can come too!