Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Oregon Day III

The next morning we all tried to sleep in, but Hazel was having none of that.

 

We had breakfast there and then Buck took June swimming at the pool while I showered and let Hazel sit like this the entire time. It was a miracle. And hilarious.
Then we checked out, which was so exciting.

And then drove to the Pirate Pastry Shop! We tried going here a couple years ago but it was closed. This time it worked. We got a blueberry cream cheese crepe and I don't regret it.
Photo by Rebecca
Then we drove a little ways along the shore line and found a new beach.  The weather was wonderful, breezy and sunny, but not hot, but not cold. The kind of weather NOBODY can complain about.  It wasn't crowded at all either. None of us wore our swimming suits, which was fine because the water was so cold- but the boys lost their shirts and the girls got sand in... many places. It was fun. The kids played and explored. I got some photos. We dug holes. There was this odd low tide where there was kind of this dip in the sand where it formed a little pond almost but if you walked out it got shallow again and then into sand so it felt like you were walking on water far out into the ocean. We all played there for a long time. June collected those clear jelly fish (they obviously didn't sting) and sea weed. I love how much she loves to touch and examine things in nature. She may have fears with some things but other ways she is fearless! We were surrounded by amazing cliffs covered in green pine trees. There was this huge bolder/cliff right in the shore line and it was amazing also. Words fail me tonight. (tired...) But just trust me that it was the best. The sand was hot and it was the perfect afternoon. Over all the kids were happy and content. We all were. I am grateful for the amazing beach times we had this weekend- what a treat and gift from God!
Photo by Rebecca
Trying to recreate a similar photo I took with June two years ago!
Selfies with an SLR haha
 

After that we drove to Tillamook cheese factory. The girls stayed awake despite being so tired. They sang/wailed some random song for a good twenty minutes. But hey, whatever keeps them happy. The factory was crowded! But it was good. We watched the cheese being sent along the belt, getting cut and wrapped. So much cheese! It's insane! Then we tried cheese samples and ended up buying a few blocks... and some fudge... and some grilled cheese sandwiches... and some ice cream.


Then we headed back to Max and Rebecca's house. And it didn't take long for both of them to fall asleep once we started driving. It was an hour and half drive but it was late... like 5:30 but we let them nap anyways. They needed it and hey, who am I to ruin a nice quite drive through a forest? 

And it was nice. We sat in silence and watched the green trees and purple flowers go by. Chaos to calm. Bonkers to crazy. This is how I feel this weekend went. Extremes.

Once we got back the kids were awake and ready to party so we had a dance party in the living room to some Indian Bollywood music. Haha. It was funny.

 And then... eventually we got the kids ready for bed, unsure if they would go down because of the naps. The girls actually did but then about 45 minutes later we found out that June had gotten into Hazel's bed and they had been playing and reading books the whole time. Haha!

We stayed up late again talking and Max braided my hair. (Yes, he braids!) Rebecca made ice cream with the black berries we picked and it was super good! Rebecca and I also looked over her photos. Buck and Max got all excited talking about new houses. It was fun but man, we were BEAT.But only in the best kind of tired way. 

The next morning we flew home. There were 25 missionaries coming home to Utah! Insane! There were so many families waiting down by the baggage claim! Sometimes I wonder if that's how heaven will be. All of our family that's gone on before us, waiting there. With balloons.


Most of our trips have been with family, like our parents, who could help out with the girls- so this was the first time that we were kind of on our own (Max and Rebecca are helpful but obviously had their hands full with their own crazy kids!) This trip I spent a lot of time thinking about how traveling with kids is hard work.  It's tiring, taxing, and at times troublesome. Sometimes it is anything BUT a vacation. But those hard in betweens lead to moments of complete wonder and peace. In the end the hard times are worth the memories that they get us too.

I'm especially grateful to our friends who hosted us.  I loved all of my mission companions and have stayed good friends with them through the years. Rebecca and I always got along in a fun relaxed way though, and that's how it's been ever since. And Buck finds true friendship in her awesome husband Max. And our kids are like the same ages. And it's awesome. The blessings from serving keep coming, ten fold. We can't wait for them to come see us again some day and then to continue trips out there. Who knows, maybe Charlie and June will get married one day after all. ;)

4 comments:

Max and Rebecca said...

Apparently I'm a blog stalker because I'm commenting withing minutes of you posting. But I love reading your synopsis of the trip. We loved hosting your excellent family! I loved the line "It was weather Nobody could complain about!" It seriously was perfect. I especially love the photos of the girls (and Buck) digging in the sand with the rock behind them!

Lillybet said...

Can't remember if I posted on the first two blog posts on this trip so I'll just post here just in case. Of course I enjoyed all of the pictures and I've commented on some of them on Facebook. You are truly blessed to have friends that you can share such special time and memories with.

Adrian said...

You got so many gorgeous images on this trip. The beach ones from this day are my favorite I think. The little green outcropping by the water is so pretty. Also, the family images you took of your friends are awesome. Perfect light and color!

4boyzmdmom said...

I totally want to go back to the beach now! We found those clear, non-stinging jellyfish at the beach in Delaware too.